ONLINE EXCLUSIVE: Gamecocks renew rivalry with Clemson on the diamond

Weather permitting, No. 5 South Carolina will renew their rivalry with Clemson this weekend. The Gamecocks have dominated of late, with the last series win for the Tigers coming four years  ago.

Friday’s contest will take place at Clemson’s Doug Kingsmore Stadium at 6:30 p.m. Per tradition, the teams will drive to Greenville’s Fluor Field for a Saturday neutral site game. Saturday will begin at 2:30 p.m. The series will conclude Sunday at noon in Carolina Stadium.

Once again, the Gamecocks (6-1) are off to a fast start. The team lost their home opener to College of Charleston before rattling off six straight victories. During the winning streak, South Carolina pitchers have given up right above two runs per nine innings, while the hitters have averaged right below seven runs per game.

Sophomore outfielder Gene Cone is one of a few hot bats in the Gamecock lineup. The leadoff hitter from Spring Valley High School in Columbia has hit safely in all seven games. In a weekend sweep against Northeastern, Cone hit .583 with two RBIs and two runs scored. He also hit his first career homerun in his first at bat of the series.

Hitting further down in the lineup is freshman phenom, Alex Destino. As the designated hitter, Destino is hitting .458 with two homeruns and six RBIs. Both of Destino’s homers came when the game was close, swinging the momentum to the Gamecock's side.

Head coach Chad Holbrook is switching the order of his two ace pitchers in his rotation. Holbrook announced Thursday that sophomore Wil Crowe (1-0) will start Friday’s opener. 

Forecasts look bleak with temperatures in Clemson hovering in the low 30s and the chance of precipitation Sunday.

Crowe has been lights out in his two starts this year, amassing an ERA of 0.87 while striking out 17 in just 10.1 innings. In last Saturday’s second game against Northeastern, Crowe pitched just four innings, though he struck out seven and did not allow a run.

With Crowe starting Friday, junior Jack Wynkoop (1-1) will take the mound Saturday. Wynkoop pitched the longest outing of his career Saturday, going eight innings and giving up just three hits and one run. Wynkoop struck out nine on his way to an easy win.

Holbrook is confident in his Friday and Saturday starters, but he has yet to announce a starter on Sunday, instead opting for a “wait and see” approach.

Clemson (5-2) enters the weekend riding a four game winning streak. After going 1-2 against West Virginia on opening weekend, the Tigers swept Maine and beat previously undefeated Wofford.

Clemson will send junior Matthew Crownover (1-0) to the hill Friday. The southpaw has yet to give up a run in 13 innings this season. He’s also struck 15 and walked none.

Saturday’s starting pitcher will be junior Zack Erwin. Also a lefty, Erwin (1-0) has given up just one run in 13.2 innings. Junior Brody Koerner (1-1) will take the mound Sunday; Koerner’s solid 2.25 ERA is still worst of the three Clemson starters.

Junior pitcher Clate Schmidt will not likely see much action this weekend as he started the Tigers’ game Wednesday. Clate is the older brother of freshman Gamecock pitcher Clarke Schmidt (2-0).