Lewis looks to live up to expectations

South Carolina conducted its fifth spring practice of the year Tuesday, and so far, highly touted junior college transfer Marquavius Lewis has not disappointed.

While it is only the spring, and actual depth charts won’t matter for another few months, it's hard to deny the expectations that rest on the 266-pound defensive end’s shoulders.

Ranked as the No. 3 junior college prospect in the country, the junior — originally from Greenwood, South Carolina — played last season at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. Lewis caught the attention of several major colleges while playing for the Blue Dragons last season.

Lewis turned down offers from 16 other schools including Alabama, Auburn and Clemson in part because of the positional need he could fill at South Carolina.

Last season, Lewis recorded 11 sacks and 63 tackles in his 12 games. His sack total was four more than South Carolina’s entire defensive line in 13 games. This offseason, head coach Steve Spurrier addressed the defense’s struggles last season by hiring his friend and former defensive coordinator at Florida, Jon Hoke.

“I know what I have to do,” Lewis said. “It’s in the back of my mind every time I come out to practice, or in the weight room, and in the classroom.”

Hoke and Lorenzo Ward will be co-defensive coordinators this season with Hoke drawing up Xs and Os and running the secondary and Ward manning the front seven.

Lewis entered spring practice as the starting defensive end despite never playing a snap for the Gamecocks. However, as poor as the defense played last season, Lewis’ immediate starting role comes as no surprise.

“We have to put somebody out there first,” Ward said. “We didn’t have guys we thought solidified the position last year so we will give everybody a chance.”

Lewis is described as a quiet guy, but those around him have noted his work ethic.

“He’s very quiet,” Hoke said. “He just kind of goes to work and works very well. Those are all things you like to see in a guy.”

Though Lewis is currently around 270, he played his senior year at Greenwood High School at around 215 pounds. The coaching staff wants him to drop to around 265, the weight he played last year, but Lewis says he’s comfortable at any weight.

Last season, defensive ends Jordan Diggs and Gerald Dixon shared the team sack lead with two apiece. Lewis knows the high expectations and remains confident, though he has not set a sack goal this season.

“Not sure right now, hopefully I’m getting double-digits,” Lewis said.

Regardless of the exact number of sacks he gets, Lewis should bring a dominant presence that the defensive line has lacked since the departure of Jadeveon Clowney.

Can he record more than two sacks though?

“Yes sir.”