South Carolina hosts Clemson in rubber match

The pivotal rubber game between No. 5 South Carolina (7-2) and Clemson (6-3) — which could possibly give the Gamecocks their fifth straight regular-season series win against the Tigers — will have to wait another day.

The series finale between the two teams was originally scheduled to be played at Carolina Stadium on Sunday at noon, but rainy weather pushed it back to Monday at 4 p.m.

Monday’s forecast is expected to be far more favorable than Sunday’s, with highs in the 60s and a slight chance for rain.

After losing 11-4 at Clemson’s Doug Kingsmore Stadium Friday night in the series opener, the Gamecocks bounced back Saturday and won 4-1 in Greenville behind impressive performances from their pitchers at Fluor Field.

Junior southpaw Jack Wynkoop had another respectable performance on the mound for the second straight weekend and pitched six innings, striking out seven batters to help even the series up.

“Jack got us off to a great start with the way that he pitched and competed,” South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook said.

Wynkoop surrendered his lone run of the day in the first inning, but Clemson wouldn’t have another player cross home plate for the rest of the afternoon despite having many opportunities.

The Tigers loaded the bases in the sixth and seventh innings, but came up empty on both occasions.

Wynkoop worked out of the first jam himself in the top of the sixth, but it was freshman reliever Clarke Schmidt who saved the Gamecocks one inning later.

The Acworth, Georgia native entered the game to replace Wynkoop with runners already on third and second base and after an infield single by Clemson sophomore Eli White, the Tigers were once again in business with no outs.

But Schmidt struck out the next batter he faced and then induced an inning-ending double play to keep South Carolina’s three-run lead intact.

Schmidt is one of several freshmen for the Gamecocks who has seen action out of the bullpen this year, and he hasn’t disappointed to this point, giving up only one run in nine innings.

Sophomore pitcher Taylor Widener picked up his third save of the season and retired the final six outs for the Gamecocks, five of which were strikeouts.

Holbrook was very pleased with the way his bullpen protected his team’s lead late in the ball game. 

“Clarke Schmidt came in and got a big couple outs for us,” Holbrook said. “Big, huge double play there with the bases loaded and then Widener was fabulous at the end of the game.”

South Carolina was held in check offensively for most of the game but opened up its scoring early on against Clemson junior pitcher Zack Erwin.

Freshman designated hitter Alex Destino continued his hot start to the season and his RBI double plated the first Gamecock run of the game in the second inning.South Carolina would tack on two more runs that inning and the Gamecocks would score one more run in the third inning as well.

In the series opener, Clemson hammered South Carolina sophomore pitcher Wil Crowe and gave him his first loss of the season. Crowe gave up eight runs, but he saved the South Carolina bullpen some energy as he completed six innings on the mound.

Sophomore Josh Reagan is expected to start for the Gamecocks on Monday while Clemson plans on using junior pitcher Brody Koerner on the mound.

Reagan has a 4.66 ERA and a pair of no-decisions in two starts this season.

Holbrook is looking forward to returning home for one last game against the Tigers.

“It’s a great opportunity, playing at home in front of our fans, and we’re trying to win a series,” Holbrook said. “We want to win it in the worst way, but win, lose or draw tomorrow, it’s not going to make our season.”