Three keys to victory: South Carolina-North Carolina

The Women's basketball team took down Liberty Saturday afternoon to advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Top-seed South Carolina won its first and second round NCAA tournament games by an average margin of 31 points, but if history's taught us anything, it’s Sweet 16 matchup against fourth-seeded North Carolina should be anything but easy.The Gamecocks went 0-2 against the Tar Heels last season and South Carolina’s year came to an end when losing 65-58 to North Carolina last March in the Sweet 16.

Neither team is the same compared to last season, with South Carolina adding depth while the Tar Heels have relied on younger players to carry the load.

Here’s a look at the three keys to the game for South Carolina.

1. Stop Stephanie Mavunga

Once North Carolina junior forward Xylina McDaniel suffered an injury in December, sophomore forward Stephanie Mavunga has stepped up in a major way for the Tar Heels. At 6’3”, Mavunga stands as North Carolina’s tallest player, and she’ll have her work cut out for her when going up against a South Carolina frountcourt that features four players 6’4” or taller.

Still, Mavunga has used her size and skills to her advantage this season, averaging 14.5 points per game. Mavunga’s rebounding skills might be her greatest asset, though. Her 9.5 rebounds per game lead North Carolina and Mavunga also blocks 2.6 shots on average, as well.  

“She’s a very, very talented post player that can score in a lot of different ways,” South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley said. “She’s deadly on the block. Her outside shot has gotten pretty consistent and when a player gets in a zone like she was last time out, it’ll be really hard. But we’ve got to run a lot of players at her.”

Keeping Mavunga off the boards could go a long way in limiting North Carolina’s possessions, which would force the Tar Heels, a team that shoots only 41.5 percent, to become more efficient when on offense.

2. Get Khadijah Sessions going 

It doesn’t take much to get South Carolina junior guard Khadijah Sessions amped up. Whether it be with a big grin after a made basket, or with a deadly stare when getting in an opposing guard’s face, Sessions illustrates her passion out on the court.

With her love of the game as strong as it is, Sessions hasn’t been able to forget about her poor performance in South Carolina’s season-ending loss to North Carolina last season. Sessions was held scoreless, shooting zero of eight from the field in the seven-point defeat in just 24 minutes of play.

“I would love to see them again and knock them out, personally,” Sessions said when the NCAA tournament bracket was released March 16.

She now has the opportunity she wanted, and South Carolina will need Sessions to play her best brand of basketball against the Tar Heels.

An X-factor of sorts, Sessions has the ability to elevate South Carolina’s flow on offense and set the tone on defense when she’s playing well. But at the same time, stagnant performances by Sessions have slowed down the Gamecocks in the past, too.

If Sessions can redeem herself from her last outing against North Carolina, South Carolina could be in for a good game.

3. Control the tempo

Much like the North Carolina men’s basketball team, head coach Sylvia Hatchell’s team has a need for speed. As shown by freshman guard Jamie Cherry’s buzzer-beater against Ohio State last Monday, the Tar Heels might be at their best when the pace is quick and the players are out of position.

The fuel for North Carolina’s high-octane offense is turnovers and poor shot selections by opponents, which means South Carolina must be careful with the ball.

The Gamecocks might be +2.2 in the turnover margin this season, but South Carolina still commits 14.4 turnovers per gameand North Carolina has the skill to turn miscues into points.

South Carolina committed 13 turnovers against North Carolina last March, which the Tar Heels scored 14 points off of. 

Because of this, South Carolina must play smart on offense, protecting the rock while also working the shot clock to search for the best shot possible.

If North Carolina is forced to play in a half court-oriented game, the Gamecocks have a clear advantage.