Previewing the Conference Finals

NBA Conference Finals Preview

This is the time of year that the true beauty of the NBA is highlighted in its purest form. The rumors have temporarily subsided and the draft order is set, allowing us to focus on the one thing that matters – the basketball.

Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets

Stephen Curry narrowly defeated James Harden to capture his first MVP award this season, a feat only a select group of NBA players can put on their resume. Harden carried a Dwight Howard-less Rockets team to a second seed by adopting the duties of both guards en route to a career highs in points and assists, while Curry led his Warriors to a historically great 67-win season. This series is certainly more than the Harden vs. Curry MVP matchup, but it’s an interesting subplot to follow.

Golden State is entering as the overwhelming favorite to win this series and rightfully so. It boasted the NBA’s best defense throughout the regular season and the electrifying backcourt of Curry and Klay Thompson carried the Warriors on an exhilarating ride that nearly came to a screeching halt against the Memphis Grizzlies. 

Golden State, and Curry in particular, was exposed by Memphis’ Neanderthal style of play, which operates through the post for better or worse. Tony Allen’s intense scowling of “First Team All-Defense” was the low point of the Warriors’ season, forcing some to throw in the towel on these Warriors. 

Memphis went on to drop the final three games of the series, losing four games to two, but not without developing a formula to defeat the almighty – perimeter defense.

The breed of elite rim protectors is dying in the league today in an overall attempt to move toward small ball. With an elite rim protector, teams can afford to press hard on the perimeter knowing the defensive anchor is lurking if the opposition manages to drive by the defender. 

In Houston’s case this is Howard. Memphis’ run was no fluke. Its defense really bothered Curry and Thompson to the point of collapse in Game 3. What sunk Memphis, though, was producing on the offensive end, which is where the Houston-Golden State matchup gets interesting. 

Houston’s head coach Kevin McHale pushed the boundaries last series and discovered a gem in Game 6 while facing a 19-point deficit. McHale sat Harden, allowed Corey Brewer, Trevor Ariza and Josh Smith to run the show who mounted a Rockets comeback.

Houston’s length and defensive savviness on the perimeter could disrupt Golden State’s entire game plan, making for a much more difficult matchup than anticipated.

Prediction: Do not underestimate Houston in this series. While the Harden vs. Curry narrative will be closely followed, this series will be decided by bench play, which is why it’s only logical to pick Golden State to advance in six games.

Atlanta Hawks vs. Cleveland Cavaliers

San Antonio Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich revolutionized the game of basketball by implementing a system based totally around the idea of teamwork and ball movement. Sure, Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli were a tremendous factor in Popovich’s success, but players 4 through 10 is where his teamwork philosophy is most admirable. Popovich handpicks egoless role players to complement and fill any deficits left behind by the core three, a system his former assistant Mike Budenholzer has managed to replicate in Atlanta.

The Hawks possess no dominant ball handler, no 20-point scorers and frankly no true superstar, but somehow managed to win 60 games and secure the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference.

On the other hand, the Cleveland Cavaliers roster is largely based on star power with LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and the injured Kevin Love. While Atlanta’s offense is predicated on ball movement, Cleveland’s star duo of James and Irving leads the league isolations by a far margin. Isolations have long been proven to be extremely inefficient, but James’ powerful frame and immense skillset has said otherwise.

This series will be the tale of Star Power vs. Teamwork and could lay the groundwork for how teams construct their rosters headed toward the future. Is the Cleveland plan or is the Popovich plan better suited for longevity?

Prediction: Atlanta’s newfound reliance on Kyle Korver’s three-point shooting and disheveled bench unit will ultimately doom the Hawks. James and Irving will defeat the Hawks in six games, setting up a Finals match-up between arguably the NBA's two best players.