Everything you need to know about game days in Columbia

Summer is drawing to a close and students are arriving back at school, which means just one thing: 2015 South Carolina football is underway.

Since 1892, the University of South Carolina has brought excitement to its pigskin team in Columbia, South Carolina. This season will be no different. With new players joining the team, everyone should be interested to see what this squad has in store for the season.

The Gamecocks are known for their traditions, like most southern schools. From the attire to fight songs, fans all over know a Gamecock when they see one.

Dress to impress

Wearing garnet and black comes with technicalities when attending football games on Saturdays. Instead of the usual T-shirt and shorts, most fans are dressed in their Sunday best.

Men usually wear nice collared shirts with khakis, or even an occasional button down if it’s not blazing hot outside. The women come out to support their team in black dresses and, of course, cowboy boots. There are always jerseys being worn too, whether you’re male or female, but remember to dress light because you’ll be sweating before kickoff.

Game day traditions

Joining the Southeastern Conference in 1990 as the 12th member, South Carolina earned its only SEC Eastern Division title in 2010. The Gamecocks notched three straight 11-win seasons before falling to 7-6 in 2014, leaving them with an all-time record of 584-552.

Displaying one of the best pre-game entries in college football, the team enters right after legendary mascot Cocky is unleashed from his cage to lead the fans in overwhelming enthusiasm. The three-time National Mascot of the Year leads the crowd, and when Sandstorm starts blaring, fans go crazy, jumping and twirling their towels.

In 2001, Sporting News ranked the pre-game entry as the most exciting in college football as the team entered the field through the tunnel to the first notes of the “2001- A Space Odyssey.” On game day, the only place to be is Williams-Brice Stadium.

Loyalty means tickets

Even with a stadium capacity of over 84,000, there still seems to be difficulty for students to secure tickets to home games. With the allotted tickets the university reserves for students, there is still a hierarchy of who will and won’t be at kickoff.

Gamecock Student Rewards is a mobile app that provides a gateway for students to gain “loyalty points” for attending certain events with the swipe of their Carolina Card. The events include all athletic events, but could also be special events put on by the university. Different events give you a different amount of points, but most only count for one. Each point gives you a better chance of being in the student section cheering on the team with Cocky.

Seniors start out with the most points at eight, juniors and graduates with six, sophomores with four and freshman with three. Most sports simply allow you to walk through the gates with your Carolina Card, but you must request football tickets online. The process is simple; just make sure you have a good Wi-Fi signal.

Anticipating the opening game against North Carolina on September 3, fans and students should prepare for this exciting new season ahead. And remember, at the end of the game, win or lose, don’t forget to raise your glasses high to salute your fellow Gamecocks in singing the alma mater, “We Hail Thee ,Carolina.”