How to Survive Gameday at USC

Football season is quickly approaching, and with it comes the hectic tailgating process, the physical preparation and, of course, the die-hard fans. Be sure you’re ready to flaunt your garnet and black spirit by the time the first game comes around.

Here are just a few tips to consider to make sure your season goes smoothly. 

1. Earn your loyalty points. 

In order to be a likely candidate for football tickets, you should really go to other sporting events to earn your loyalty points. For example, it’s easy to walk over to the soccer stadium from campus, and you can increase your chances of scoring a football ticket. 

2. Be prepared for any weather. 

At the beginning of the season, you’ll be sweating through your clothes, but by the end, you may wish you’d brought a blanket. Not to mention, the rain in the Carolinas is unpredictable, and you could find yourself hiding under a tailgate tent if you’re not properly dressed.

3. If you’re a girl, you’re expected to wear a black dress. 

This might sound crazy to all of us who are used to wearing big jerseys and shorts, but gameday at USC is just another excuse for southern belles to dress up, including face stickers, curls and nail polish. So put on your little black dress and your cowgirl boots and strut your stuff down to the tailgates.

4. Ride the shuttle. 

As a USC student, you are entitled to a free shuttle ride to and from the stadium. Just bring your CarolinaCard to Russell House and a bus takes you and your friends right down to Willy B! It runs until an hour and a half after the game, so you have plenty of time to catch a ride home after the win.

5. Get there early. 

However you get to the stadium, traffic can cause a serious problem for you. Tailgaters get there hours ahead of time, so the streets will be flooded with crazed fans who are all too excited for Gamecock football. If you’re a driver, be careful on the roads, and if you’re a pedestrian…good luck.

6. Stay hydrated and well-fed. 

With all the craziness on gameday, it’s easy to let the sweltering heat and the walk from the tailgates to the stadium get to you. It’s important to eat and drink before you start partying so that you don’t wake up in the back of a pickup truck three hours after the game ends. Remember: Bojangle’s moved down the road, so it’s up to you to bring snacks and water.

7. When someone says “GAME,” you say “COCKS.” 

This is not optional. If somebody starts a Gamecocks chant, you have to participate. The same rule applies to the Sandstorm cheer. You better get pumped. 

8. Have fun. 

Obviously, this one isn’t hard to do at a USC football game, but remember that this is a unique time in your life. You can watch your peers on the football field and on the TV screen, and then you can congratulate them in class on Monday. Take advantage of your opportunity to support the Gamecocks while you’re still here.