Bold Predictions: Nunez will run and the defense will excel against Missouri

South Carolina has the opportunity to gain some momentum on Saturday, facing a Missouri team that is without its starting quarterback.

The Gamecocks are fresh off a much-needed 31-14 victory over the University of Central Florida last weekend and will look to add to that momentum on Saturday at noon.

With that in mind, here are some bold predictions:

1. Lorenzo Nunez will lead the Gamecocks in rushing yards … again.

Since 49ers running back Mike Davis departed South Carolina for the NFL, head ball coach Steve Spurrier’s offense has failed to establish any sort of run game. Running backs Brandon Wilds, a redshirt senior, and David Williams, a redshirt sophomore, have combined for a grand total of 295 rushing yards through four games, which shifts the pressure onto the quarterback, whomever that may be in a given week.

Because neither redshirt sophomore Connor Mitch nor redshirt junior Perry Orth are true threats when running the ball, South Carolina’s offense was stagnant through the first few weeks. Opposing defenses have played back, suffocating the Gamecocks’ offense all year, thus translating into an abnormally low completion percentage (50.5 percent) among all quarterbacks.

This trend appeared to resume at the start of Saturday’s contest against UCF, until freshman starter Lorenzo Nunez began using his feet. It’s no coincidence that South Carolina erupted for 31 points, its highest point total of the season. Nunez’s 123 rushing yards opened up the throwing lanes, leading to a few tremendous receptions from junior wide receiver Pharoh Cooper. The team needs somebody to rush the ball, and that somebody will have to be Nunez yet again.

2. The defense forces at least three turnovers

Missouri’s starting quarterback for the past 18 games, Maty Mauk, was suspended by the team Tuesday for violating team rules and will not be available to play in Saturday’s game. True freshman and four-star recruit, Drew Lock, will replace Mauk, who has been inconsistent all year.

Lock has quickly emerged as a favorite amongst Mizzou fans, as head coach Gary Pinkel has elected to give Lock some play in all four games this season. In limited time, the quarterback has completed 15 of his 25 passes, with one touchdown and one interception. He’s shown flashes of potential, but starting and substituting into the game are totally different. All of the pressure that was on Mauk’s shoulders has shifted onto Lock.

Although the freshman is certainly equipped with the talent to thrive at Missouri in the future, he’s in for a rude awakening Saturday. South Carolina’s defense put on arguably its best overall performance of the season against UCF and will carry over that energy into Week 5 with at least three takeaways.

3. The T.J. Holloman-Skai Moore linebacker duo thrives

South Carolina made a drastic lineup change last week on the defensive side, moving junior All-SEC candidate Skai Moore to the weak side (WILL) and redshirt junior T.J. Holloman to the middle linebacker position (MIKE), despite opposition from Spurrier. The shift was a successful one as Moore recorded nine tackles, and his counterpart Holloman recorded two second-half interceptions and six tackles.

The duo was the catalyst to South Carolina’s victory over UCF and will keep the ball rolling this week. A combined two interceptions and 15 tackles will be tough to emulate, but don’t expect much of a drop off. The speed and agility of Moore parlayed with Holloman’s strength and toughness creates a hazardous matchup for the freshman Lock.