Breaking: Police officer shot, killed in Richland Mall shooting, suspect in custody

The Associated Press (AP) reports that Forest Acres Police Chief Gene Sealy has confirmed the death of Officer Greg Alia following an incident at Richland Mall in Forest Acres. He was a graduate of the USC, according to WLTX.

Alia, a married father of one, was 32 years old and a seven-year veteran of the department. He responded to a 911 call of a suspicious person just before 8 a.m. along with two other officers, and he was shot in an ensuing struggle with the suspect following a chase.

According to The State, police have also confirmed that a suspect, 34-year old Jarvis Hall of Eastover, who was armed with a knife and handgun has been charged with murder. Richland County Court records show that Hall was arrested on August 30 on charges of refusing to stop on police command and was released on bond the same day.

Most of the Richland Mall remains closed, and a lockdown put in place at nearby A.C. Flora High School has been lifted.

Flags outside the Forest Acres Police Department have been lowered to half-staff. Alia is the first officer shot and killed in the line of duty this year in South Carolina, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.