Column: Superbowl calls Newton's character into question

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton speaks to the media at a postgame news conference following a 24-10 loss against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., on Sunday, Feb. 7, 2016. (LiPo Ching/Bay Area News Group/TNS)

The fans of the Carolina Panthers deserve more from their heralded star. Not in terms of performance, but in heart. Cam Newton owed it to them to lay it all on the field. And when he did not, he owed, and still owes, them an explanation.

With about four minutes left in the game, the Panthers got the ball back, down six points. Carolina fans across the country still had hope and more than just a glimmer of it. They saw their superstar, a man they adoringly called "Superman," walking onto the field. With Newton, they not only had hope that they could win, but that they would.

Forget the abysmal game he’d been having so far. Forget the fumbles, the interception, the overthrown balls, the un-MVP like performance. Forget that they were losing. This was how the game was supposed to be scripted, with their superhero about to do what he’d already done countless times this season. Newton was about to win Carolina the game.

Yet three plays into what was supposed to be the game-winning drive, Superman met his kryptonite. Facing a third and nine, the ball was snapped to Newton. The Broncos rushed four, but immediately, like he had been doing all night, Von Miller beat his man off the line and came around the edge. Newton didn’t even see Miller coming. The ball was knocked from Newton’s hands and fell to the turf. 

Newton saw the ball just feet from him. He saw the Denver Broncos defender flying full speed after it. And at that very moment, Superman saw the challenge before him and gave up.

There are no answers yet as to why Newton didn’t dive for the football. Maybe there is no better answer than the obvious: When his team, fans and city needed him most, Newton was too scared to give himself up for their good. Too afraid of injury to do what it took to win. Too weak to risk his future for a city that had entrusted him with theirs.

Newton owes no apologies for the poor game he played. Yet he does owe an answer to everyone that is already overdue: Why didn’t he dive for the football?

Yet that’s an answer Carolina fans will probably never get. For if we learned anything from Sunday night it was this: Newton is too selfish and weak to give his city everything it deserves.