Tigers dominate Gamecocks in wire-to-wire victory

Early in the first quarter, Clemson scored a touchdown. Then another. Then another. Before you knew it, Will Muschamp led South Carolina into the locker room facing a 35-0 deficit. And it didn't get any better for the visitors from there. 

After a second half that featured Brandon McIlwain under center, the Gamecocks fell 56-7 to their in-state rivals, marking Clemson's third straight win in the series. 

The Tigers, who improved to 11-1 with the win, amassed over 200 yards in the first quarter, while limiting South Carolina to just seven and not allowing a single first down. The Gamecocks struggles in the run game continued, posting an average of 2.7 yards per carry before Rod Talley got loose a couple times on the final drive.

Clemson did most of its damage through the air, picking on the South Carolina secondary for six passing touchdowns, giving Watson more than any other Tiger quarterback in the Palmetto Bowl. All three of the first quarter scores came against Jamarcus King, who struggled to contain Clemson's Mike Williams. Williams finished with six catches for 100 yards and three touchdowns. 

South Carolina's lone score came on a trick play, where Deebo Samuel took the handoff from McIlwain and threw down the field to Bryan Edwards for a 33-yard touchdown in the third quarter. The touchdown was the longest play of the night for the Gamecocks, and their only play of over 20 yards. 

When all was said and done, the game was South Carolina's worst defensive performance of the season, as Clemson racked up over 600 yards of total offense and 49 points. The Gamecocks had only allowed more than 28 points in a game once in 2016, last week in a 44-31 win over Western Carolina.

Clemson will advance to the ACC Championship next Saturday, while the Gamecocks will await their bowl invitation after finishing the regular season 6-6.