Duane Notice stepping into leadership role to try, fulfill goal of NCAA Tournament

Last season, senior guard Duane Notice saw his role change dramatically. Although he started the majority of the games his first two seasons at South Carolina, he played primarily off the bench this past year.

Many players would take this as an insult or a knock at their confidence, but Notice didn’t let it get the best of him. He continued to give it all he could from the bench and make a difference.

This season, his role on this team changed once again, returning him back to a starting role and calling for more leadership from the experienced veteran.

“For me, it doesn’t really matter what my role is,” Notice said. “Whatever coach decides, whether I come off the bench or if I start, it’s not going to change the way that I play. I’m going to play hard and play with all of my heart.” 

This passion was evident, as he won the SEC Sixth Man of the Year, an award given to the player who performed the best coming off the bench.

“I have a friend who plays in the NBA, Cory Joseph, who is someone who is like a mentor to me, and when he came to the Raptors he was considered the 'Sixth Man' coming off the bench and that fueled me to share the same position that he had and just bring what I could to the second unit," Notice said. "I wasn’t striving to get an award; I didn’t even know they had an award like that.” 

Notice averaged 10.8 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game last season. He also ranked 12th in the SEC in 3-point field goal percentage with .398.

Notice is one of just three seniors this year, along with Sindarius Thornwell and Justin McKie. Notice said he’s ready to step up and be a leader alongside these two, especially with a lot of fresh faces. This year’s team features five freshmen and two eligible transfers, so getting these guys used to Frank Martin and the program may be a challenge for these seniors.

“I think I do a pretty good job of doing the right thing and consistently I think I just have to be able to talk more,” Notice said. “Just being able to be more vocal and tell guys what to do, what not to do, what’s OK and what’s not OK off and on the court, I think will be the biggest thing for me.” 

While Thornwell has been more of a face for the program and started almost every game of his career here, Notice will be able to relate to the new players more. Having the experience starting and playing off the bench, and being such a big player in both spots, will help him in relating to the incoming players.

“It should be something that people should look for and realize that every situation is different and you can always impact that game in different ways,” Notice said. “So it doesn’t matter if you’re a starter or not, it’s just something that you have to put your pride aside and your ego down and just do what’s best for the team.” 

The Gamecocks surprised people last year when their season started so well —  they went undefeated for their first 15 games and finished the year 25-9. They missed out on the NCAA Tournament, though, and Notice is more than ready to make his first appearance there.

“Our goal every year is to make the tournament,” Notice said. “Seeing as it’s my last year I just want to experience it, it’s something that we all look forward to.”

Whether Notice gets the nod to start more this season or continues to play from the bench, he’s sure to make an impact again for this team and maybe even fulfill his goal of making the tournament.