Column: South Carolina's new starting lineup worked

It was new. It was different. And most importantly, it worked.

For the first time all season, coach Frank Martin employed a starting lineup of Sindarius Thornwell, PJ Dozier, Hassani Gravett, Duane Notice and Chris Silva. This lineup, which moved Maik Kotsar from his usual starting role to the bench, allowed the Gamecocks to play faster against the Volunteers.

And from the opening tip, it was obvious how beneficial this change was for the Gamecocks.

Finally, South Carolina looked like the defensive monster that it had been for most of the season. With everyone able to guard on the perimeter of the floor, Tennessee looked bewildered.

For the first time in a long time, South Carolina had the help defense that had been the anchor of their defense for most of the season. The gaping driving lanes that had allowed opposing guards to impose their will on the Gamecocks for the past month were no where to be found. The defensive intensity that had been lacking in previous games was back.

This was best exemplified by one defensive sequence that occurred just three and a half minutes into the game.

Tennessee’s point guard Lamonte Turner dribbled up the court, and Notice waited for him at the half-court line. Admiral Schofield, Tennessee’s power forward, was guarded by Thornwell at the top of the key.

Turner crossed half court, and Schofield instantly began moving to set a high ball screen. The rest of the Tennessee players spaced out, with one in the short corner and the other two in the far corners.

Normally, this would have been a nightmare for South Carolina to defend. It would have forced Silva or Kotsar 30 feet from the hoop, and put them in the position for a cheap foul as they hard hedged the pick and roll.

But instead, the more athletic Thornwell was able to switch off onto Turner, allowing Notice to recover and switch back. Silva then helped off his man, stripped the ball, and led the charge in transition leading to two points for the Gamecocks.

Previously, Kotsar wouldn’t have been able to guard the pick like Thornwell, or have helped like Silva. And despite his replacement, Gravett, not being involved at all in the play, the versatility provided by the new lineup was revealed.

Just as the Gamecocks were better able to defend with this more versatile lineup, they were also more dynamic on the offensive end.

With four guards on the floor, the floor spacing on offense for the Gamecocks was excellent. Tennessee defenders were forced to respect all the perimeter shooters for South Carolina, who no longer had the lane clogged up due to Kotsar’s presence.

And just like that, the more athletic Gamecocks were up 8-2 against Tennessee just four minutes into the game.

South Carolina, with all its defensive intensity and offensive aggression, is back.