Men's soccer wins overtime thriller over Mercer

Justin Sukow’s first goal of his collegiate career was a big one for the Gamecocks.  

The freshman midfielder scored the game-winner against Mercer with four seconds left in the first period of overtime on Monday, sealing South Carolina’s 2-1 come-from-behind win at Stone Stadium. 

"I just saw on the clock that there was 10 seconds left,” Sukow said. “I just saw Luca [Mayr]. The ball came out to Luca out there, so I just ran in to see what would happen and keeper gave it up so I just tapped it in there.” 

Sukow’s goal helped the Gamecocks improve to 2-0 on the season and completed their second straight comeback victory after defeating USC Upstate, 2-1, on Friday. Sukow became the third freshman on the squad to score a goal in just two games played this season. 

“It says that they’ve got a lot of heart and they fight hard and that’s really good. Once we have that, we can build on that,” head coach Mark Berson said. “We just have to keep working and keep improving, but all night long we competed. All night long we fought. This a very good Mercer team.” 

Possession between USC and Mercer went back and forth in all three periods, but the Bears held the majority of control and outshot the Gamecocks 15-7. The Gamecocks didn’t take their first shot until the 25th minute when freshman midfielder Mitchell Myers kicked a bullet from 25 yards out off a deflection that was just high of the net. 

Mercer got on the board first when USC goalkeeper William Pyle fouled forward Will Bagrou in the 65th minute on a play near the net. Bagrou, who was named the 2016 SoCon Male Athlete of the Year last season, kicked a roller just left of Pyle for his first goal of the season. 

Like Sukow, freshman Benjamin Gilligan scored his first career goal in the 76th minute of play. Midfielder Spencer Meschter’s shot bounced off the crossbar, and Gilligan cashed in on the deflection. Meschter was credited with an assist on the play. 

The win comes at an important time for the Gamecocks, who will play their first road game of the season against in-state rival Clemson at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. Last season, the Gamecocks were eliminated by the Tigers in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Riggs Field. 

“I think it’s a huge lift for us. No question about it,” Berson said. “I think this is team that’s really young. This is a team that’s finding its way. What happened tonight. What happened the next couple games is not going to define us completely, but when you show the qualities of coming back and fighting and getting a win in overtime, that’s a great thing to have on your side.”