The Daily Gamecock sports staff predicts: Super Bowl

Super Bowl LII is only days away, and as a reminder to fans fortunate enough to attend the game on Sunday, the NFL has issued its list of prohibited items. Security screening at U.S. Bank Stadium will be heightened, the league says, and so here is a list (a guide only, the league warns; it's not exhaustive) of items fans cannot bring into the stadium with them when they attend. (Mark Herreid/Dreamstime/TNS)

The NFL season is coming to a close with the 2018 Super Bowl taking place on Sunday, Feb. 4 at 6:30 p.m. The New England Patriots will look to win their second Super Bowl in a row, as they made the ultimate comeback last year to beat the Atlanta Falcons 34-28. They'll still have a challenge to overcome, as the Philadelphia Eagles look to win with backup quarterback Nick Foles. 

The Daily Gamecock sports staff made its predictions for the big game in Minneapolis, Minnesota. 

Claudia Chakamian — Sports editor 

The Patriots will beat the Eagles 28-24. Former Gamecock Alshon Jeffery will once again show why he's Carolina Made and have two touchdown receptions, but I think the experience of Tom Brady and company will overpower. Brady will win his sixth Super Bowl and (hopefully) retire on top. 

Shelby Beckler — Assistant sports editor 

The Patriots will beat the Eagles 31-28. There will be much anticipation as both teams continue to put points on the board hoping to claim the title of champions, but New England will secure their win with an interception in the final minutes.  

Noah Patheja — Sports writer 

The Patriots will beat the Eagles 24-20. The game will finish with Nick Foles throwing a game winning touchdown pass on fourth down to Alshon Jeffery, but the play will be overturned on an offensive pass interference.

Danny Waller — Sports writer 

The Patriots will beat the Eagles 27-23. Gamecock alumnus Alshon Jeffery will keep the Eagles close, but ultimately the experience and talent of the New England Patriots will lead them to their second straight Super Bowl victory and give former South Carolina cornerback Stephon Gilmore his first ring.

Logan Jennes — Sports writer 

The Eagles will beat the Patriots 24-21. The Eagles' defense ranks second and the Patriots' offense ranks third. The offensive scheme wins games, but the defense wins championships. Birds on top.