SG inauguration ushers in new administration

Student Government inauguration was less the start of a new era than a celebration of the current administration. Rutledge Chapel, full to the brim with the members of the new 110th senate, the families of incoming officers and Student Government observers, heard speeches from the four 2018-19 executive officers — Student Body President Taylor Wright, Vice President Mills Hayes, Treasurer Emerson Odagis and Speaker of the Senate Patrick Ellis — Tuesday afternoon after they each took an oath of office.

"There is no place on Earth quite like the University of South Carolina," Wright said. "As the elected leaders of this 110th Student Government, we must work to ensure that these opportunities are presented to every member of the Carolina community."

The officers both old and new laughed together on stage anytime the words "Momentum" or "Surge" were used, the winning campaign slogans from last year and the most recent election. The speeches, while mainly formal, were also deeply personal. Wright discussed how being an African-American male shaped his life and his plans for the presidency, and Hayes shared the story of her grandmother attending USC in the '60s.

"As women, we still have a long way to go to achieve true equality," Hayes said. "I am thankful for the trailblazers. The resilient, brave and intelligent women like my grandmother who paved the way for us to rise today."

Hayes was joined on the stage by two notable female university administrators, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs Anna Edwards and Provost Joan Gabel, who both work with Student Government.

"As we celebrate the accomplishments of the 2017-18 student body officers, we look with anticipation and excitement for what Taylor, Mills, Patrick and Emerson will contribute during their term."

Edwards noted the successes of former Student Body President Ross Lordo's administration, especially progress on the new student union.

Lordo, while not speaking at the inauguration, was mentioned in almost all six speeches given. After the event concluded, he was free from involvement in Student Government for the first time since starting classes at USC.

With less than a month left of classes before graduating in May, Lordo says he'll be getting "a lot more sleep." 

"Our new administration will continue to blaze a trail of excellence for current and future Carolinians," said Ellis, the first ever speaker of the senate. "When Taylor, Mills, Emerson and I reflect on our time in office, I hope that we will take heart in the work that we accomplished.