Burnett leads South Carolina into Landfall Tradition in NC

The USC women's golf team will be looking to get back on track this weekend as it travels to Wilmington, N.C., to compete in the Landfall Tradition at the Country Club of Landfall.

Carolina's most experienced player, junior Katie Burnett, will be a key factor if USC wants to improve on its 11th place finish two weeks ago in Chapel Hill, N.C., at the Tar Heel Invitational. Fortunately, Burnett has momentum on her side.

The Brunswick, Ga., native shot a 1-under-par 71 in the final round of the Invitational, a three-shot improvement on what she fired in the first two days of the tournament. Burnett has been the most consistent player on the squad so far in the young season. In the Cougar Classic in Hanahan earlier this fall, Burnett placed fourth individually and compiled a 2-under-par tournament. She also leads the team with three rounds of even par or better and has a 72.12 round average.

"Katie's game is the best it has ever been," coach Kalen Anderson said. "I know her course management is a lot better. I'm looking to them to lead the freshmen."

A big surprise for the Gamecocks this season has been the play of the inexperienced freshmen. Suzie Lee finished first individually on the team in the Tar Heel Invitational two weeks ago with an even par total. Lee has been the second best player with a 72.67 round average in two tournaments.

The rest of the squad has performed well in this fall season. Sophomore Amanda Strang will also bring some valuable experience this weekend. Freshmen Katie Rose Higgins and Samantha Swinehart along with sophomore Meredith Swanson all have had a round of even par or better once in this young season.

This is the first time that USC has participated in the Landfall Tradition. Last year Duke came in first place after finishing with a score of 811. That was good for a one-shot win over UCLA.

USC is the only SEC school that is participating in the Landfall Tradition this year. Some of the other major programs in the field are Virginia, Texas, Notre Dame, UCLA and Ohio State.

The team will be playing on the Dye course of the Country Club of Landfall, which was designed by renowned architect Pete Dye.

The course is a par-72 and will present a harsh challenge for all the teams in the tournament.