'From Snapshot to Civic Action'

McKissick museum exhibit showcases photos, stories of Columbia public housing

“A picture is worth a thousand words,” but in the case of the newest exhibit at the McKissick museum, it can be worth many more.

“From Snapshot to Civic Action: Creating Healthy Environments through Community Engagement” features the results of a research project conducted to improve the lives of public housing residents living in downtown Columbia. While you may expect the project to include annual reports, statistical evidence, or a long-winded history, the reality is much simpler, effective and heart wrenching. The exhibit consists of photographs taken by people who care about the future of their community. After reaching the second floor of McKissick, one is greeted by a hallway lined with smiling pictures of those involved in the project. The photographs tell stories — of brokenness, loss and fear — but also hope.

“From Snapshot to Civic Action” is the first phase of research conducted by Drs. Darcy Freedman and Ronald Pitner, both from the USC College of Social Work. Their mission — to raise awareness among residents and the general public about weaknesses in these communities. With funding from the Kresge Foundation and USC’s Arts and Humanities Grant, they equipped 18 participants from eight public housing areas with cameras to provide an inside perspective of their lives. The participants were instructed to document the concerns and highlight the strengths of their community, and following with over 25 hours of group discussion and reflection.

The gallery of pictures creates a photo essay for the eyes of the visitor, as the photographs empower the soulful residents of Columbia to express their trials and triumphs like never before. In both color and black and white, messages such as the need for more security, a new daycare or safer places for children are emphasized, calling for civic action. Photos that depict the strengths, such as the Columbia Museum of Art, the graffiti murals, and the South Carolina flag portray a sense of pride and unity within each of the communities.

While the images certainly speak for themselves, the captions, written by the photographers, bring them to life with a personal touch.

Floyd Cutner, remarks on his photo entitled, “Pillars of Success:”  “This is home. I’m surrounded by inspiration by low-income people from my community who have gone on to achieve greater things and have given back to the community.” The project appears to have created bonds among the residents, bringing together those who ordinarily had several differences, for one common goal.

Surrounded by politics, arguments and stress, it’s possible to become convinced that these are the only ways to provide aid or raise awareness. The “Snapshot” project proves that a little ingenuity and creativity can be just as effective, as changes in response to the project will begin in 2012.

The exhibit will run through March 26 in McKissick’s North Gallery. Admission is free.