Mainstream artists impress with 2010 releases

Albums put new, veteran musicians on the map

“My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” Kanye West (Atlanta)
The fifth studio release for notoriously smug hip-hop star Kanye West, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” proved to be the year’s best album with a laundry list of all-star collaborations and a nice showcase of West’s undeniable talent. Released on Nov. 22 with Roc-A-Fella Records, the 13-track — plus bonus track “See Me Now” featuring Beyonce and Charlie Wilson — smash hit opens with a British-accented Nicki Minaj on “Dark Fantasy.” It floors all West haters with “All of the Lights,” featuring 11 collaborating artists — from La Roux’s Elly Jackson to Elton John — and begins to wrap things up with a personal favorite, “Lost in the World,” which adds to Bon Iver’s bone-chilling “Woods.”

“Sigh No More” Mumford & Sons (London)
London-based folk rockers Mumford & Sons have taken the U.S. by storm with their indie folk charm and uniquely honest hits. Their debut album, “Sigh No More,” was released in the U.S. in February with Glassnote Records, although it dropped in the U.K. in October 2009 with Island Records. The impressive quartet, led by vocalist Marcus Mumford, rose to fame in the U.S. with the 12-track album’s “Little Lion Man,” which gives a taste of the straightforward sound and lyrics of the album. “White Blank Page” slows things down and strips down the instrumentals for a beautiful opening harmony.

“Manners” Passion Pit (Massachusetts)
An electropop band out of Cambridge, Mass., Passion Pit is infectious with alternative electro hits that feature all the band’s best beats and whimsical talent. Although the five-man band originally released its debut album “Manners” in May 2009 with Frenchkiss Records, it was rereleased with three bonus tracks and a new design in April. The most popular of the 14-track rerelease, “Sleepyhead” grabs attention with shrill vocals, in the best possible way, and some heavy keyboarding. The lyrics behind all the madness are just as great, with the more low-key “Moth’s Wings” focusing on frontman Michael Angelakos.

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” Bruno Mars (Hawaii)
Music producer and songwriter-turned-solo artist Bruno Mars has taken the pop charts by storm with his first studio album “Doo-Wops & Hooligans,” released on Oct. 5 with Elektra Records. Recognized as a talented writer and featured on hits including Travie McCoy’s “Billionaire,” Mars has proven himself to be a multi-talented musician with smash hits “Grenade” and “Just the Way You Are.” The sweet-voiced, Hawaiian-native succeeds with easy listening hits, like “Marry You,” and is on the rise in the mainstream.

“Pink Friday” Nicki Minaj (New York)
Trinidadian-American rap starlet Nicki Minaj has blown up in 2010, growing from a featured rapper and mix tape hip-hop phenomenon to one of the top artists in the game. Her debut solo album “Pink Friday” dropped on Nov. 22 with Cash Money Records, shooting to the top of charts across the board. “Roman’s Revenge,” featuring Eminem, is one of the album’s best with hardcore raps that impress, while “Moment 4 Life” with Drake adopts a different but equally amazing flow.

“Brothers” The Black Keys (Ohio)
The Black Keys, a blues-rock duo from Akron, Ohio, have mastered a Southern blues sound in its unique brand of rock, with vocalist and guitarist Dan Auerbach’s soulful but untamed voice leading the brand. “Brothers,” released May 18 with Nonesuch Records, is the pair’s sixth full-length album and is the first to find a definite national light. Shortly after the album’s release, the rockers started popping up in between MTV programs, finding a whole new audience for their established sound. “Tighten Up” and “Howlin’ for You” have proved to be album favorites.

“Come Around Sundown” Kings of Leon (Nashville)
Four-man family band Kings of Leon polished things up for its fifth album “Come Around Sundown,” released Oct. 19 with RCA Records. Featuring a nice balance between their early, unrefined Southern rock sound and their new, more mainstream image, the Kings did well with the latest release. The album’s first single “Radioactive” was well-received.  It’s a song honoring the band’s homeland, complete with a music video and a remix featuring a hometown children’s choir. Other favorites include “Pyro,” “Back Down South” and “Mi Amigo.”

“Speak Now” Taylor Swift (Pennsylvania)
Country pop singer-songwriter Taylor Swift has made a name for herself in the industry, with her third studio album “Speak Now” marking a rebirth for the young star. The 14-track album, which was written entirely by Swift, is a triumph in its own right, delivered with a familiar but ever-improving sound. Hits “Mine” and “Back to December” have taken over the airwaves, while “Dear John” got its fair share of attention for the supposed subject of the slowed-down lost love song.

“Hands All Over” Maroon 5 (Los Angeles)
The Los Angeles natives of Maroon 5, known for their alternative rock/pop hits, stepped up their pop game with their third full-length “Hands All Over,” released Sept. 21 with A&M/Octone Records. With an added funk to the mainstream, they please with borderline dance hits like “Misery” and “Give a Little More.” Favorites “Never Gonna Leave This Bed” and an unexpected collaboration with Lady Antebellum, round the album out for a solid 12 tracks, plus a bonus track “The Air That I Breathe.”

“I Am Not a Human Being” Lil Wayne (New Orleans)
Lil Wayne gets kudos for releasing his 10-track album “I Am Not a Human Being” from behind bars. Originally intended to be an EP, Wayne produced a solid lineup of signature Carter tracks, released on Oct. 12 with his Cash Money Records. Although it lacked the same success as Wayne’s past full-lengths, it deserves mention for opening song “Gonorrhea” and “Right Above It,” both featuring Drake.