2011 SEC Preview

Florida, Vandy getting preseason title buzz

Like it does in football, the Southeastern Conference has a reputation as the best college baseball league in the nation.

"The SEC is, I would say, the best conference in baseball," USC outfielder Adam Matthews said. "There's a bunch of good teams out there, and it's something that, every weekend, you're going to have to come out and compete. It's a tough conference to play in, but it's the conference that you want to play in. You want to play the best that's out there and do what you can to win."

Here's a quick look at the 11 other SEC member institutions. 

Florida
Last Year: 47-17, reached College World Series
Plays USC: March 25 to 27 in Gainesville

The Gators enter the season as the consensus favorite to win the national championship. UF was in Omaha, Neb., last season but did not fare well, losing two straight including an elimination game loss to rival Florida State. The hope in Gainesville is that experience and veteran leadership can help push the Gators over the top this time around.

Vanderbilt
Last Year: 46-20, reached Super Regionals
Plays USC: April 15 to 17 in Columbia

Florida may be the favorite to win the College World Series, but Vandy is getting a good deal of attention as a national title sleeper pick. The Commodores can hit, but the strength of the team will be pitching, with ace Sonny Gray leading a staff that, with fellow starters Grayson Garvin and Taylor Hill, may be the best in the SEC.

Georgia
Last Year: 16-37, no postseason
Plays USC: March 18 to 20 in Columbia

2010 was one of Georgia's worst seasons in school history. However, coach Dave Perno's squad was extremely young last year. If experience can catch up with the Bulldogs' raw talent, they could have a tremendous turnaround campaign in 2011.

Tennessee
Last Year: 30-26, no postseason
Plays USC: April 7 to 9 in Knoxville

UT coach Todd Raleigh quieted some doubters by getting the Vols over .500 last year after playing poorly in nonconference play. But many more remain. Tennessee probably has to get to a Regional this year if Raleigh is going to keep his job.

Kentucky
Last Year: 31-25, no postseason
Plays USC: April 1 to 3 in Columbia

For the second straight year, UK was squeezed out of an SEC Tournament spot, and by extension a Regional appearance. The Wildcats want to end that trend in coach Gary Henderson's third season in Lexington. With a solid pitching nucleus and returning bats, there's a good chance they will.

Auburn
Last Year: 43-21, reached Regionals
Plays USC: April 29 to May 1 in Columbia

After hosting an NCAA Regional last season, the Tigers are eager to achieve more. AU loses several bats from last season, but its pitching should be improved. In a down SEC West, the Tigers have to be considered a threat to repeat as division champs.

LSU
Last Year: 41-22, reached Regionals
Plays USC: Teams do not meet

The Bayou Bengals disappointed as defending national champions last spring. LSU salvaged a poor regular season by winning the SEC Tournament, but the Tigers weren't even able to gain a regional host bid, eventually being eliminated by University of California, Irvine in the Los Angeles Regional.

Alabama
Last Year: 42-25, reached Super Regionals
Plays USC: May 19 to 21 in Tuscaloosa

The Crimson Tide pulled off an improbable run to the Supers, knocking off national eight-seed Georgia Tech in the Atlanta Regional. With a tremendous amount of experience leaving, it's unlikely Alabama can get back there, though. A Regional bid isn't out of the question, however.

Arkansas
Last Year: 43-21, reached Super Regionals
Plays USC: May 13 to 15 in Columbia

Dave Van Horn's Razorbacks have lost a lot from last year's club, which started hot but fizzled a bit down the stretch, failing to reach Omaha. However, Arkansas is strong up the middle. The entire infield returns in addition to Preseason All-America catcher James McCann and center fielder Collin Kuhn.

Mississippi State
Last Year: 22-33, no postseason
Plays USC: April 22 to 24 in Starkville

State has yet to show much on the field since hiring coach John Cohen. Is 2011 the season the tide begins to change in Starkville? According to the SEC coaches poll, no. The Bulldogs were picked to finish last in a down SEC West.

Ole Miss
Last Year: 39-24, reached Regionals
Plays USC: May 6 to 8 in Oxford

Drew Pomeranz is gone. If the Rebels can get to him, closer Jake Morgan could help ease the significance of that loss. Morgan was a star before sitting out last season with an elbow injury. He's healthy again and set to anchor a solid Ole Miss bullpen.