Coulier clowns around

‘Full House’ comedian ‘cuts it out’ for students in stand-up act

On Thursday night in the Russell House Ballroom, the last thing students wanted Dave Coulier to do was “cut it out.”

After Coulier had to reschedule his performance, originally set for Oct. 25, due to flight delays, the USC community seemed extremely excited for the show to go on. Students arrived over an hour early to nab seats for the comedian’s Carolina Productions appearance.

Known best for playing Joey Gladstone in the ’90s hit sitcom “Full House,” Coulier’s stand-up act kept the audience members laughing and remembering why he was their favorite childhood comedian. It’s no secret that he has perfected the art of the impression, and the crowd ate up his impersonations of Popeye, Bullwinkle and Tom Hanks, which he made famous during his time on “Full House.”

Coulier entered the stage to a warm welcome from students and said, “It’s always good to be in the ballroom with some Gamecocks.”

From teaching the audience that his name is pronounced “Cool, yay!” to how to do his signature “cut it out” move, Coulier, or “Uncle Joey” as he’s remembered from his days on the sitcom, was a solid entertainment choice by Carolina Productions.

When asked what he was like as a kid, Coulier said, “I was a jock, and I was always the funny guy in the locker room with my hockey team as a built-in audience. Then I was like, ‘Gee, I think I’m pretty good at this.’”

Coulier also jokingly mocked other stars, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, O.J. Simpson and his “filthy Jewish sister,” “Full House” co-star Bob Saget.

When he looks for stand-up material, “I just keep my eyes and ears open, and try to let it register on my very own funny meter,” Coulier said.

Also included in his routine were jokes about his video-gaming son, airport security, his Canadian mother and popular craft store Hobby Lobby.

Let’s not forget Coulier’s “band,” composed of his trademark harmonica, which he played surprisingly well and found a way to include in a variety of jokes.

Fans of the popular sitcom were excited that Coulier didn’t seem all that different from his “Full House” character, keeping the show clean with just a little mature spice.

“I always used to watch the show when I was little and really wanted to see him. I came hoping that he would still have the same qualities as Joey did,” fourth-year theatre student Melissa Goodfellow said.

Coulier did admit that some of his Uncle Joey character carried over into his life outside of the TV screen.

“I didn’t get paid in real life as much as I did on ‘Full House,’” Coulier joked. “No, but really, I think there are always similarities between a character and the actor.”

The highlight of the show was Coulier’s suggestion for a new Nike commercial — the Nike swoosh symbol, surrounded by all of the company’s products, ending with Tiger Woods saying, “Our products are so good, it’s like cheating,” followed by the “Just do it” trademark.

Whether taking on the role of Joey or real-life Coulier, it is clear that this comedian will always be welcome with a “Full House” at USC.