Saratt throws perfect game

USC goes 3-1 over weekend

Freshman Julie Saratt threw a no-hitter in her first college softball game Saturday against Coastal Carolina to help the Gamecocks get off to a strong start to the season.

"I was just going out there thinking that I needed to hit my spots and let the defense work behind me. I never dreamed that would happen. It was just kind of a team thing," Saratt said.

Coastal only had two batters reach base, with one making it on an error, and the other advanced on a walk. It was the first Gamecock no-hitter since 2008.

Coach Beverly Smith said she didn't realize Saratt had a no-hitter going until the fifth inning. Like her pitcher, Smith credited the achievement to the defense.

"She did a great job. It was exciting. The defense made some great plays behind her so it was an awesome game. In the fifth inning, I was over at third base and I just glanced up at the scoreboard and just saw no hits. I went back and was looking at notes and [said], ok we're rocking pretty good," Smith said.

Saratt contributed on the offensive side as well, with two hits and a RBI.

South Carolina played four games over the weekend, and finished 3-1 in the Palmetto Showdown, an in-state tournament.

Ultimately, the Gamecocks were unable to take home the Palmetto Showdown trophy.

Coincidentally, it all came down to the final game of the tournament, against USC Upstate.

South Carolina got on the board first in the second inning. PJ Fulmer brought home a run on a hit down the third base line after the Upstate outfielder was unable to make the diving grab.
In the fifth inning, Katie Zauner hit a homerun to left field to score two and put Upstate ahead 3-1.

South Carolina attempted to rally in the final frame, but was unable to score, and left two runners stranded.

Garcia continued her great weekend, going 3-for-4 with an RBI. On Friday, Garcia had a stolen base, scored a run, and drove in two runs on a triple. Her fourth-inning single was the deciding moment of opening day, which South Carolina won 10-6.

"Garcia had an awesome weekend at the plate. She made some great defensive plays. She's exciting to watch run the bases," Smith said.

Pitcher Audrey Broyles made her return after surgery last season, pitching two innings on Friday and starting Sunday. She gave up four hits in five innings, with four strikeouts.