The Mix Tape: Five Valentine's Day Date Spots We're Obsessing About This Week

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and everyone is scrambling to find the perfect place to take his or her honey for the special holiday. Instead of sticking to tradition and opting for the usual bouquet of roses, box of chocolates and sit-down dinner at say, Olive Garden, switch it up and get a little creative with plans.

Medieval Times

2904 Fantasy Way, Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Crossing into the 11th century at Medieval Times, every girl is sure to feel like a princess, and every boy, her knight in shining armor. Featuring an enthralling show, the “Battle of Champions,” the entertainment is a cast of knights, a court and live horses. With a hearty four-course meal, girls will be overjoyed to chow down, sans utensils — just like the olden days! The rate for a night at the medieval castle is $50.95 per person, but for an additional $30 per couple, you and your honey can celebrate with the Valentine’s Day package, good from Feb. 11 to 14. Including two photos, two glasses of champagne, one cheering wand and much more, it is definitely worth the splurge. Medieval Times is located in Myrtle Beach.

The Mad Platter

3101 Millwood Ave.

The Mad Platter on Millwood is Columbia’s favorite paint-your-own-pottery studio, with over 200 styles of pottery available to design. With everything from plates to mugs to frames, The Mad Platter is the perfect place to let your creativity run wild and create a little keepsake for you and your loved one. They make the best wall decorations, and take the sentiment behind a homemade gift to the next level. There are also a few specials out there for college couples. Tuesday night is BYOB, where you and an “adult buddy” can paint two-for-one, and Friday night is College Night, knocking down the $6 studio fee to $2 with your student ID. Friday is also Tie-Dye Day, with each shirt costing $15. Get creative, and make a stop at The Mad Platter for Valentine’s Day date night.

Riverbanks Zoo & Garden

500 Wildlife Parkway

Riverbanks Zoo is one of the most famous attractions in Columbia and for good reason. Take your significant other on a romantic walk among the lions, tigers and bears, and maybe learn a little something along the way. If the animals aren’t your thing, check out the Botanical Garden. With 70 acres of beautiful and exotic plants and the Woodlands Walk and River Trail, the natural beauty of Columbia will be the perfect backdrop to
a V-Day date.

Nonnah's

930 Gervais St.

The classic Valentine’s Day activity, dinner, is taken to new levels at Nonnah’s Restaurant in the Vista. Even if you don’t want to drop the cash to get a full meal at this upscale restaurant, Nonnah’s offers some of the most decadent desserts in Columbia. No matter where you eat dinner, be it another Vista venue or the local Zaxby’s, make sure to stop by Nonnah’s for one of its can’t-miss delicacies. Sharing a hulking piece of the strawberry amaretto cake — layered with strawberry cream and chocolate ganache and topped with white chocolate drenched strawberries — with your sweetheart is the perfect complement to the holiday of love.

Plex Indoor Sports

1019 Broad Stone Road, Irmo, S.C.

What better way to spend time with your Valentine than to cling to each other for support while clumsily sliding around a huge block of ice? Risk of serious embarrassment and mild injuries is the perfect bonding tool, and let’s face it — if either of you fall, it will provide a hilarious experience to laugh about later that night. With a $9 admission and $3 skate rental, it’s a college student’s cheaper alternative to an expensive filet mignon, with more action and thrill than a quiet dinner date.