Women’s soccer inks quality signing class

Success of program allows USC to expand recruiting horizons

With National Signing Day 2011 now a thing of the past, the Gamecocks are set to move forward with five new additions to their program.

"I think it's one of the most talented and diverse as far as coming from different areas of the country," coach Shelley Smith said. "I think they have the talent level to fill many key needs right away and to push the players in the program. They bring very strong playing backgrounds and experience playing at top clubs, regional and national teams. Overall, they're one of the strongest classes. Not the biggest, but very high quality individuals."

Among the group of signees is goalkeeper Sabrina D'Angelo of Welland, Ontario. With the departure of keeper Mollie Patton, Smith expects D'Angelo to contend for the 2011 starting job.

"That's the intention of bringing in someone of that quality," Smith said. "Playing in the program for a couple years is very valuable, so players here obviously have that ahead of her, but she's also bringing in such a high level of playing experience that she'll be able to compete right away. There's a possibility that she'll come in and fill that role right away."

The rest of the class has a emphasis on the defensive side. Virginia's Andie Romness and Pennsylvania's Ali Whitney come in as defenders, New Jersey native Christa Neary joins as another possible defender and Colorado native Ariane Lukens enters as a midfielder. Smith believes Neary has the best chance of making an immediate impact.

"Christa Neary is probably the most decorated player of the class, just with her regional team experience and the impact she's had on her club the last two years," Smith said. "She's really drawn a lot of interest. With her physical tools and the confidence she exudes on the field, I think she'll come in and be able to play right away as a freshman."

Carolina also expects the others will have an opportunity to receive playing time right away.

"I think all of them are talented enough to challenge for spots," Smith said. "They all played at a high level in club and have gotten challenged year-round on a daily basis by some of the best players you'll find in the country at that age level."

With the 2011 class coming from all over North America, USC believes it's a sign of how its program has grown.

"We've had good exposure and we've attracted players from all over," Smith said. "It's nice to be able look all over the U.S. and have players interested in coming to South Carolina. It says a lot for the program and the University as a whole."