‘Adjustment Bureau’ succeeds with on-screen chemistry, depth

Damon, Blunt play up romance in new science-fiction film

Chemistry between lead actors is a very important factor to consider while making a romance film, and “The Adjustment Bureau” strongly benefits from the on-screen spark between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. George Nolfi makes a successful debut into directing by blending romance, hope and conspiracy into a heady mix.

The story, which is loosely adapted from Philip K. Dick’s short story “Adjustment Team,” is somewhat of a mixture of the romance from “Romeo and Juliet” and the special effects from “Inception” (2010).

The film starts off with signs of a political thriller, showing David Norris (Matt Damon) rehearsing his concession speech after losing his lead in the race for United States Senate. While rehearsing in a hotel bathroom, he meets a mysterious woman named Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt), who was hiding in one of the stalls. She gives Norris some speech advice and the two instantly fall in love in one of those love-at-first-sight moments Hollywood has such a fondness for.  

From this moment on, the science fiction elements come into play. A group of fedora-wearing, fate-controlling bureaucrats known as The Adjustment Bureau confronts Norris and tells him he was never supposed to fall in love with Elise, because it goes against the plan fate drew out for him. To prevent him from seeing her again, they will reset his brain if he refuses to comply with the plan. Despite their warnings, Norris does everything he can to ensure a future with Sellas.

“The Adjustment Bureau” succeeds as a romance film because it manages to provide enough emotional depth to make audiences actually care whether or not the two leads will end up together. This is partially due to the performances of Damon and Blunt, who successfully make David and Elise a modern-day Romeo and Juliet.

Damon especially seems to be comfortable playing this type of character, allowing him to work his undeniable charm into the role. His experience working with George Nolfi, who wrote the screenplays for “Ocean’s Twelve” (2004) and “The Bourne Ultimatum” (2007), also serves as an upside.

Blunt appears the more vivacious in the romantic pairing as she displays her best on-screen performance since her earlier days in “The Devil Wears Prada” (2006) and “Sunshine Cleaning” (2008).

What makes “The Adjustment Bureau” different from any movie of its kind is that it doesn’t exactly provide a solemn deliberation on free will and divine intervention like “Blade Runner” (1982) and “Logan’s Run” (1976). Also, unlike other films based on conspiracy theories, it doesn’t provide a dark, shadowy atmosphere. Then again, it doesn’t try to be that type of film. Instead, the film comes off as wryly entertaining.

As a science-fiction film, the use of visual effects is very well-balanced with the film’s narrative, with no unnecessary effects added. It does not rely on constant, computer generated bewilderments. Instead, the film’s idea of using visual effects is more simplistic; it only depends on them during certain moments within the film, such as when the adjusters use shortcuts to travel across New York City.

“The Adjustment Bureau” manages to keep the adult romance movie genre alive, despite disappointments over the past couple of years. Granted, the story is pretty repetitive and ponderous, George Nolfi’s freshman direction manages to keep it all together.

Forget “Beastly.” This is a romance film worth seeing.