Bruce Ellington to play football at South Carolina

Basketball star can't practice until summer, however

The former Berkeley High star was a spectator at practice Thursday. After practice, USC coach Steve Spurrier confirmed the starting point guard and leading scorer on the men's basketball team will be joining his team. However, due to NCAA rules pertaining to Ellington's basketball scholarship, he is not yet able to practice. Ellington has to complete one full academic year before participating in another sport.

When he is eligible, Spurrier said Ellington will be given an opportunity to compete, as he believes Ellington can play a role for the Gamecocks.

"He definitely can help us," Spurrier said, adding that while the coaching staff will announce which position Ellington will play at a later date, he will likely be a member of the offensive unit.

Ellington's scholarship will count against the football team's limit of 85 once he transitions over, opening a men's basketball scholarship. Ellington is said to have indicated he wants to play both sports but would remain with football until the end of its season, joining the basketball team after with its season already in progress.

Assuming USC qualifies for a bowl game this coming year, that likely would mean Ellington would play sparingly, if at all, before the beginning of the basketball team's conference schedule.

Men's basketball coach Darrin Horn released a statement Thursday night supporting Ellington's decision.

"To me the most rewarding thing in this job is the players and my relationship with them," said Horn in the release. "From the first time I met Bruce I knew playing both sports in college was a possibility, and we support him in every way we can. We hope he has a lot of success in football and look forward to having him back next year for basketball."

In his senior season at Berkeley, Ellington led the Stags to a state football championship in 2009. Playing as a wildcat quarterback, Ellington was one of five "Mr. Football" finalists in the state and played in the Shrine Bowl.

Redshirt senior quarterback Stephen Garcia said he was excited about the prospect of Ellington joining the team.

"I've never seen him play, but I've heard a lot about him," Garcia said. "It would be awesome to have him out here."