Dylan Thompson impresses in USC's first spring scrimmage

Redshirt freshman throws two touchdown passes in workout

"Dylan Thompson hit two big balls," Spurrier said. "At least we got two big passes."

Most of the attention Saturday inside Williams-Brice Stadium was on the quarterback taking the majority of the snaps — Connor Shaw — and the quarterback standing on the sideline — Stephen Garcia, who returned from a three-practice suspension and sat out the scrimmage portion of the workout.

But Thompson, a redshirt freshman from Boiling Springs, was the star of the day.

The former South Carolina Mr. Football finalist completed nine of 14 passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns in what was a day largely dominated by the USC defensive unit.

"I'm learning," Thompson said. "I've got a long way to go. That's obvious. But it's going pretty well."

After sitting out last season and spending most of his time in the scout team, Thompson said he is thrilled to finally have the chance to take snaps with the offensive unit. He said he doesn't know exactly where he fits as of now with the quarterback situation — he is currently listed as fifth on the depth chart — but is determined to work and improve.

"All I got to do is come out here and practice hard and do what [Spurrier] says," Thompson said. "I know Stephen's a fifth-year senior with a ton more experience than I have, and Connor's been doing the right stuff, so I'm just going to do the best I can and see how it goes."

Shaw hesitant: Shaw struggled at times in the scrimmage, throwing two interceptions while completing only six of his 15 pass attempts for 78 yards.

"He did OK," said Spurrier of Shaw. "I thought he'd be a little quicker making decisions, but then again the protection at times was not very good."

Spurrier said he expects some of that hesitancy to wear off as the spring progresses, noting Shaw should be much sharper in the second scrimmage, which will be this Saturday.

Smith impresses: Thompson's first touchdown pass, a 38-yard strike to wide receiver DeAngelo Smith, resulted in praise for the redshirt sophomore from Spurrier, who termed the Kingsland, Ga. native's catch "beautiful."

"He's had a good week of practice," Spurrier said. "D.D. Smith is coming around."

Wooten in the lead: Spurrier said redshirt senior kicker Jay Wooten, who handled the bulk of kickoff duties last season, is in the lead to win the placekicking job vacated with the graduation of Spencer Lanning. Spurrier added Wooten, a former transfer from North Carolina, could follow in Lanning's footsteps and also serve as the team's punter.

Sled Hits: Spurrier said he expected the defense to outperform the offense Saturday, as it did ... Defensive line coach Brad Lawing missed another practice due to a physical, but Spurrier said he is expected back this week ... Justice Cunningham missed his second straight practice due to an infection on his back, but the tight end should return this week ... Spurrier said Garcia and Andrew Clifford, who was also suspended for the first week, will be full participants in Tuesday's practice, which starts at 4 p.m. on the Bluff Road practice fields.

______________________________________________________

Passing: Thompson 9/14, 131 yards, 2 TD, INT; Shaw 6/15, 78 yards, 2 INT; Strickland 7/9, 23 yards

Rushing: Baker 7/34; Hinch 2/12; Miles 5/8; Blue 1/5; Sanders 1/2; Strickland 1/1; Shaw 5/-1; Thompson 1/-3;

Receiving: Sanders 4/61, TD; Barnes 2/45; Smith 1/38, TD; Miles 2/20; Baker 4/17; Gresham 2/13; Sherman 1/7; Scruggs 2/5; Byrne 1/4; Jones 1/14; Moore 1/5; Simmons 1/3;

Scoring Summary
Smith 38 yard pass from Thompson (Yates Kick)
Wooten FG 35
Sanders 45 yard pass from Thompson (Scribner-Howard Kick)