In our opinion: Aerospace program needs financial support from state government

It's a request state officials should quickly heed.

Budget times are tough. We know this. There isn't enough money for everything, and programs will sustain unprecedented cuts this year.

But this is an investment that could drive the state forward for decades. With Boeing's decision to move to South Carolina, we are the forefront of this march. Our students can be most prepared for jobs that keep them in the state of South Carolina through Boeing. They can be more prepared for jobs that take them out of the state with other companies. We can pioneer the research that propels these innovative planes for Boeing and all sorts of other companies.

We can attract students from other states who want to study aerospace engineering. We can give our scientists and students a chance to benefit the greater good. And most importantly, as Moore said last week, the state will only move forward if it keeps its best and brightest within its confines. We can transform this center into something special for this state.

Educating our citizens how to best capitalize on a company's decision to move here is a visionary education plan that we applaud. Once again, USC President Harris Pastides is showing he's a big-picture thinker who cares more about this university than holding the status quo.

Gov. Nikki Haley has called the funding request "premature" in this budget crisis. We don't envy you, governor. You're taking over a state that's badly overspent and now must fill a huge budget shortfall. But when we're making short-term budget decisions, we must look at the long-term payoff. Giving $5 million more to other systems and agencies will ensure their basic operations for another year. But it won't bring economic prosperity and jobs to this state that so badly needs it.