In our opinion: USC alumni deserve university’s thanks

Especially given the current economic crisis, state budget cuts have threatened the University of South Carolina’s ability to meet the needs of its students, and USC has relied on the generous donations of alumni and other private donors to continue to provide us with a quality education. Our editorial board has often challenged Gov. Haley and other elected officials to make every effort to allocate adequate funding for USC and other state universities. We understand, however, that no university can survive on state funding alone. So today, on behalf of thousands of students who have benefited from donations made by alumni — over $147 million during the 2009-2010 academic year — we thank these donors. These individuals deserve our thanks now more than ever before, as their contributions were made during some of the toughest economic times our country has ever faced. In spite of the difficult economy, our alumni gave generously to support the mission of our university. Because of their gifts, students received scholarships that helped defray the cost of attending USC, departments were able to hire faculty to maintain the quality of education our university is able to afford its students, old buildings received much needed upgrades and, most importantly, USC has survived increased budget cuts from the state.

At some point, we all will join the elite circle of University of South Carolina alumni and we will each have the opportunity to give back to a university that has given us so much.

When that time comes, let us strive to match the devotion and generosity these alumni have shown. Let us pledge to give as generously as we can to ensure future Gamecocks have an even better experience than we have had. Our university and our state depend on it.