The Mix Tape: Five Coffee Shops We're Obsessing About This Week

Although there are a few nice options on campus, including the Russell House Bookstore and even Colloquium Cafe, Columbia has a couple of hidden gems hiding just outside the university. Cafe Strudel, Carolina Cafe and Immaculate Consumption all offer nice environments and solid coffee menus, including a few creative cafe treats. These are the five coffee shops we're obsessing about this week.

Cafe Strudel ­
118 State St.

Cafe Strudel, nestled next to New Brookland Tavern in West Columbia, is a European-style coffee shop and cafe that offers the same cozy vibe that can be found in many on-campus hot spots. Offering a full menu, Cafe Strudel wins with its coffee selection, featuring the Bottomless Cup of Coffee for just $2.49, which uses all local roasters and is freshly ground. Strudel also offers every cafe drink from cappuccinos to mochas to the Cozy Cocoa all for under $4. Cinnamon pancakes, a smoked salmon bagel or another breakfast treat are the perfect complements to the simply delicious coffee, with a special Sunday brunch menu served every week from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Cafe Strudel is open Monday through Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Thursday through Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Five Points Starbucks
747 Saluda Ave.

Starbucks is a world-renowned chain, and although many are drawn to its signature cafe drinks, it can be discounted when it comes to the category of local charm. Students are drawn toward the more study-friendly or social coffee shop scenes, and Five Points Starbucks offers just that. Located right next to CJ's and overlooking the Five Points fountain with a large, open patio area, the Saluda Street Starbucks wins with the best outdoor seating. Cool down with a delicious Tazo shaken iced passion tea or a classic frappuccino. Customers can also contribute to relief efforts in Japan at the local Starbucks. The location is open Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday, 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sundays 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Carolina Cafe and Catering Co.
925 Sumter St.

Carolina Bagel Bakery & Cafe, simply known as Carolina Cafe, is a small coffee and bagel shop just down the street from the Horseshoe, under Cornell Arms Apartments. Quite the quaint establishment, with about a dozen tables, Carolina Cafe keeps things casual and offers outdoor seating for the gorgeous spring weather. With a pretty basic selection of bagels, as well as sandwiches, melts, wraps, soups and salads, the cafe complements its cafe creations well. Featuring the Milky Way cappuccino, with a shot of chocolate and caramel, as well as a s'mores hot chocolate, Carolina Cafe satisfies any sweet tooth with its coffee drinks. Carolina Cafe is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday, 8 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Cool Beans
1217 College St.

One of the most well-known coffee shops around campus, Cool Beans has earned its reputation as one of the best places to find tasty coffee drinks. The atmosphere is a main draw for customers, offering roomy and comfortable seating on two different floors. Cool Beans also offers free wireless Internet, making it a great place to spend the gap between your classes. Alongside the huge selection of specialty drinks, the menu offers plenty of food choices for every taste. With vegetarian choices like the hummus wrap and popular deli options like the chicken curry salad, the classic coffee shop keeps prices low and affordable for college students. Open from 7 a.m. to midnight on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to midnight on weekends, Cool Beans is the perfect late-night option for coffee.

Immaculate Consumption
933 Main St.

Located on Main Street, right next to Nickelodeon Theatre and close to the back side of the Statehouse, Immaculate Consumption caters specifically to the college and business crowd. Offering up a special sandwich every day, the restaurant keeps fresh and unique choices on the menu all the time. International selections, including the Vietnamese-inspired Bahn Mi sandwich and the classic Greek salad, give the coffee shop a leg up with the lunch crowd. The cafe is of course known for its coffee, which is roasted in-house every day and its specialty frozen drinks that hit the spot on a hot Columbia day. Immaculate Consumption is only open on weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., so drop in before or between classes and experience its signature drinks.