Annual USC Idol competition showcases student talent

Nine performers took the Russell House Ballroom stage Thursday night, vying for the title of USC Idol, and all conveyed their own unique vibe and charm to both the audience and the panel of three judges.

USC Idol, hosted by Carolina Productions, featured students performing covers of songs they felt would best embody their musical style. After each performance, the panel of judges critiqued the performers.

In the end, fourth-year business student Kendrick Marion was crowned champion. Marion was awarded a pair of tickets to the upcoming Usher concert at the Colonial Life Arena, which were donated to the event by the venue.

“I’m not a very emotional person, but I am excited,” Marion said. “All of my friends can vouch for me that I love Usher.”

Marion performed “A House Is Not a Home” by Luther Vandross showcasing the full range of his vocal abilities, with notes in both the lower and upper registers. Marion was a repeat competitor in the competition, having placed third in last year’s event.

“I definitely think I did much better this year,” Marion said. “I was much more comfortable and confident on the stage.”

The judges’ votes counted for 20 percent and the audience’s, tallied via text, accounted for the remaining 80 percent.The rest of the evening’s performances featured a variety of musical styles. Second-year criminal justice student Kris Jordan and third-year nursing student Katelyn Calhoun tapped into their Southern roots, performing Jason Aldean’s “She’s Country” and Carrie Underwood’s “Temporary Home,” respectively.

Brady Stephenson, a first-year international business student and member of USC’s male a cappella group Soundcheck, brought an up-beat energy with his rendition of Michael Buble’s “Haven’t Met You Yet.” Fellow Soundcheck members third-year journalism student Rico Mcclanahan and second-year international business student Alex Pham wooed wwith their emotive vocal styles, performing John Mayer’s “Dreaming with a Broken Heart” and Jamie Foxx’s “Fall for Your Type” respectively.

This year’s Idol featured three students accompanying themselves instrumentally. Will Goss, a third-year computer science student, dazzled the crowd with his keyboard skills during his cover of “New York State of Mind” by Billy Joel. Contestants Roshni Rao, a biomedical graduate student, and Reilly O’Hara, a first-year international studies student, played the acoustic guitar. Rao brought a retro vibe to the evening by playing the Eagles’ “Desperado” and O’Hara kept it modern with his cover of “Bulletproof Weeks” by Matt Nathanson.

After all nine performances were judged, event emcee and third-year public relations student Taylor Gibson handed the stage over to local acoustic duo One, Two, Skidoo, who delighted the crowd during the voting intermission period with raucous acoustic covers of Kanye West songs.

“Our act at the end really helped,” Fayne said of Skidoo’s performance. “I feel like that really sunk it in.”