Famed jam-band Widespread Panic takes Township Auditorium

Legends of the jam-band scene Widespread Panic return to the Township Auditorium tonight for the first time since 2008 as a part of its 25th Anniversary Tour.

It has been rumored that the Athens, Ga., natives will go on hiatus after the completion of this tour, so loyal fans and live music junkies have extra incentive to try and see the band perform this time around. Unfortunately, tickets for tonight’s 7:30 p.m. show have already sold out through the Township Auditorium box office. But, for those who already have their tickets or are planning on buying one on the street, here’s a rundown of some classic tunes you might hear at the concert.

Classics

“Ain’t Life Grand”

If you’ve ever attended a Panic concert, there’s a good chance you’ve heard them play “Ain’t Life Grand,” as it has remained a staple of the band’s live shows since the release of the 1994 album. The song features a driving chord progression led by a prominent piano line and strummed rhythm guitar, with lead singer John Bell’s vocals starting off at a near-whisper level and rising to a raucous into the chorus. Though many die-hard fans, commonly referred to as “Spreadheads,” feel the song is overplayed, seeing “Ain’t Life Grand” performed live is a right of passage for any jam-band aficionado.

“Tall Boy”

Lead guitarist Jimmy Herring starts “Tall Boy” off with the song’s signature lead guitar line, one that has the potential to become permanently engraved in a listener’s brain upon first listen — it’s that catchy. The vocal line from the chorus, “summon the Holy Ghost of the battlefield,” hints at and adds to the song’s unmistakable down-home, Southern feel.

Fan Favorites

“Bowlegged Woman”

Bass player Dave Schools starts “Bowlegged Woman” off with a thunderous bass riff that immediately sends fans into a frenzy. Bell, better known as “JB” to Panic fans, then proceeds to steal the show with his emotive, blues-tinged vocals as the rest of the band keeps a heavy groove that has been known to fuel some fiery jam sessions.

“Arleen”

“Arleen” offers fans a look at the full spectrum of Panic’s musical capabilities. Schools frequently dazzles the crowd with impressive solos on this cut, as does Herring. The song’s chorus features a call-and-response portion between Bell and the audience that is sure to get even the most novice fan fully involved in the Widespread Panic experience.

Deep Cuts

“Fire on the Mountain” and “The Harder They Come”

This February, Panic performed a two-night run in its hometown to kick off the 25th Anniversary Tour. At these shows, the group covered the classic Grateful Dead tune “Fire on the Mountain” for the first time since the ’80s and performed “The Harder They Come,” an original composition it hadn’t played live since the passing of original lead guitarist, Michael Houser. If either of these songs get played at the Township tonight, they will be an unexpected treat for all Panic fans alike.
The Township is located at 1703 Taylor St. in downtown Columbia. For more information about this show or other upcoming events, contact the venue at 803-576-2350 or visit www.thetownship.org.