For former Gamecocks, football is now a business, and an uncertain one at that

Lockout looms over players' futures

Former South Carolina offensive tackle Jarriel King grew up a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. However, the North Charleston native will gladly forget past allegiances if it will help to further his professional career.

"Wherever I [may] go, I'm a fan of that team," King said. "If the [Baltimore] Ravens and [Cleveland] Browns (the Steelers' AFC North rivals) call, I'm going to have to take their call and say 'What's going on? How we doing? Let's talk.'"

King's attitude is no different than any other college football player trying to transition from the collegiate game to the professional realm. For them, the game they love has become a job, and they themselves have become part of a lucrative business.

"It's about your living now," said former tailback Brian Maddox. "It's no more [playing in college]. You're getting paid for doing what you love to do."

However, for the 14 former USC athletes who participated in the team's pro day last week and every other college player who entered into the NFL Draft, which will be held at the end of the month, the business they're about to enter is completely different from what it was as recently as a year ago.

Due to a labor impasse between owners and the NFL Player's Association, the league has imposed a lockout and brought its collective bargaining process into the courts. The draft, which will be held April 28-30 in New York, is the last date on the previous collective bargaining agreement's calendar. If no agreement is reached, rookie free agency will not exist and the 2011 season with remain in doubt.

Maddox said the prospect worries him because he feels his best shot to have an NFL career may be through getting a chance in free agency.

"[The league and player's association] need to come to a resolution," Maddox said.

King echoed those sentiments.

"It's my job right now so of course I worry about it," King said. "I'm hoping that we have a season, and we'll be able to get on the field, get paid. Really, that's what everybody's trying to do.

"I mean, I've got love for the game, but at the same time, it's a job. I'm going to love it whether I'm playing it or not. I want to work so I can get paid and do what I've got to do."

King and Maddox had no choice for when to begin their professional careers as both have exhausted their eligibility. Tori Gurley did have one. The Rock Hill native decided to forego his last two years as a Gamecock wide receiver in order to enter the draft early. However, Gurley said he has no regrets about his decision despite the uncertainty.

"Once you make your bed, you've got to lay in it," Gurley said. "When it's time to play football, I'm going to play football."

And when that time comes, Gurley, like his former teammates, is confident he'll be able to succeed in his new business.

"I treated it like a business when I was here at USC," Gurley said. "That's how I got on the field and played. When it came down to me switching positions from outside to slot, I just took the initiative to learn everything and be the best player I can be. I feel like I'm going in to the NFL with a chip on my shoulder knowing I can work my way to anywhere I need to be."