Gamecocks to face Kentucky in SEC series

USC looks for pitching staff to settle out against UK

Michael Roth is South Carolina's Friday night starter. The junior has filled that role since opening day and will continue to do so tonight when USC opens a three-game set with Kentucky at Carolina Stadium.

Once the Gamecocks get past Roth, though, Saturday and Sunday have been a revolving door of different pitchers. It'll continue against the Wildcats this weekend, as USC's rotation has yet to solidify, despite the halfway point of the season fast approaching, for a myriad of reasons.

"I would really like for it to be settled," said USC coach Ray Tanner of the weekend rotation. "It's a work in progress for one reason or another — injuries mostly right now. We've battled hard; we've had some guys step up for us and keep us in a position to win, so I'm very happy about that. But it is a challenge, [an] ongoing [one]."

With left-hander Steven Neff out for another Saturday start with shoulder tendonitis, the Gamecocks (19-5, 4-2 SEC) will turn to righty Colby Holmes in Game 2. Holmes threw three innings in relief against Florida on Sunday, allowing no runs and one hit as the Gamecocks won the rubber match of their series against the Gators, who were then the top-ranked team in the nation.

The performance continued what has been a solid season for the Conway, S.C., native.

"I think the decision was made based on his production," said Tanner of Holmes starting. "He's been productive for us not only in Gainesville but prior to that. He's had some quality innings."

Earning a weekend start was something Holmes was in line for prior to the season. After having what Tanner called a "good preseason," Holmes got strep throat during the week prior to the opening series against Santa Clara. He was not available to start the season, which caused him to briefly fall behind, Tanner said.

USC has yet to announce a starter for Sunday's game. However, if capable, freshman Forrest Koumas will start. Koumas, who threw six strong innings in his emergency start against UF last weekend, spent most of the week in a Columbia-area hospital after having an anaphylactic episode after accidentally ingesting pasta containing peanut oil, which he is allergic to. The Elgin, S.C., native was discharged Thursday morning and is reportedly fully healthy.

"He's back in the building, and he looks good," Tanner said. "He's returning to full participation [Thursday], and we'll evaluate his status."

Tanner said he couldn't make a decision on Koumas' status for the weekend until he was able to evaluate his workout and probable bullpen session Thursday, but Koumas said he was hopeful to start, adding that he felt fine.

"I feel normal," Koumas said. "My arm feels great."

Tanner raved about Koumas's tenacity, referring back to when the baseball staff watched Koumas play high school football at Lugoff-Elgin.

"He took a lot of hits," Tanner said. "He was running the ball and taking a lot of shots. We like that kind of toughness."

Kentucky (15-11, 2-4) has played well of late, winning six of its last 10 games including a SEC series win over Tennessee. UK will send junior right-hander Alex Meyer, who is expected to be a high MLB Draft pick, to the hill Friday. Meyer has struck out 54 batters in just over 41 innings this season and was named a Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week last month after striking out 13 batters against Miami of Ohio.