Jackie Bradley Jr. day-to-day after injuring back while lifting weights

Status of star outfielder unknown; Tanner optimistic

When the Gamecocks took the field against USC Upstate, a key face was missing from their lineup. Jackie Bradley Jr. sat out the game after he injured his back in the weight room on Monday.

"I didn't even know [Tuesday] that he had an issue on Monday," said coach Ray Tanner. "It was an easy day. It was an optional day in the weight room. With our schedule, it's hard to get an ample amount of lifts in. A lot of those guys will go in on an off day to get some work done. Apparently he just did an RDL (Romanian Deadlift) and it just caught him a little bit in his back.

"He said he thought he was fine, swinging and everything. Bending over was an issue for him, but we laughed and said, 'You're not playing second or short, so you should be OK,'" Tanner continued. "He seemed to be happy with batting practice, and he started jogging to the outfield and got to the first-base coaching box and it was over. He said it was too much for him."

It is not yet certain when Bradley will be able to take the field again.

"He's seeing a doctor [Tuesday night]," Tanner said. "We're somewhat optimistic. That being said, I don't know. I don't know if he's going to be shut down or if he's going to be able to play or not."

Career game for Walker: Christian Walker's five hits, five RBIs and four runs scored were all career highs for the sophomore, who currently leads the Gamecocks with 40 hits and 33 RBIs on the season.

"It's nice to have the kind of night that he had. That's not easy to do," Tanner said. "Sometimes when you look around and your comrades aren't there to protect you, you might not get as many pitches as you would have otherwise. He had a big night. He's a good player. His hand-eye coordination is really good. He's seeing it pretty [well], and he can square some balls up.

"It was a great night for him. You want your guys to feel good about their swings going into the weekend in order to have a good game before you hit the road.

Walker does not believe he has any extra responsibility to pick up slack caused by Bradley's absence.

"It's hard to take Jackie's place, but we've got guys who can fill in and play a role," Walker said. "[Evan Marzilli] is great in the outfield. I don't feel like I have an extra weight on my back at all. I just try to play my game and get hits."

Full team effort: All nine starters had at least one base hit for USC, and 12 hitters reached base for the Gamecocks. Erik Payne, who pinch-hit for Adrian Morales in the seventh inning, knocked in two runs with a double in his second at-bat. The hit was his first in a Gamecock uniform.