Neal's Trailer Park: 'Hangover,' 'Tree of Life,' 'Green Lantern,' 'Hobo with a Shotgun' set for summer release

Summer is drawing closer, meaning it is about time for Hollywood to release films that will assault your eardrums and blow your minds to mush with explosions. Dear readers, suppress your unrelenting excitement as “blockbuster season” quickly approaches. Usually preceding “blockbuster season” is the purgatory of trailers and less notable (boring) films. So, instead of spending time on a film that doesn’t even have a car chase, let’s examine the trailers of this summer’s upcoming films.

1. “The Hangover Part II”

If the trailer is any indicator, “The Hangover Part II” is going to be exactly like the first, with a different location and missing person. I enjoyed “The Hangover” (I didn’t grovel at its “greatness,” like most people my age), but I can say I am not too impressed with the sequel’s trailer. Director Todd Phillips seems to be taunting the audience by saying, “I know you are going to come see this movie regardless, so why would I write a new script? I’ll just change a few things and still make a ton of money.” He’s made it, more or less, the iPhone of films.

2. “Tree of Life”

After watching “The Tree of Life” trailer, you will have learned absolutely nothing except that the movie stars Brad Pitt and he hits children. Twice. Outside of that wonderful factoid, the trailer looks like it was ripped from Discovery Channel’s “Life.” However, this is Terrence Malick’s (“Thin Red Line”) fifth feature film he has directed in the past 38 years, so it is hard not to be intrigued. It will be an overarching film that will move very slowly, but is sure to be Oscar bait.

3. “The Green Lantern”

“The Green Lantern” released a four-minute-long extended trailer recently that made the movie look, well, farcical. Not knowing much about the Green Lantern (played by Ryan Reynolds) except that he has a powerful ring that shoots lasers, I was completely shocked to see all the weird creatures in the trailer, including a Green Lantern jellyfish (to his credit his stingers are a better weapon than Reynolds’ Ring Pop). The trailer looks goofy, Ryan Reynolds doesn’t play the serious role well at all and the film has enough animation to rival “Sucker Punch” (definitely a bad thing). So, I can’t really say that this movie looks decent in good conscience.

4. “Hobo with a Shotgun”

The title says it all. This film is about a hobo with a shotgun. I just watched this trailer and found myself circling the release on my calendar (figuratively speaking). The film will be a complete joke, but judging by the trailer, it knows that. Instead of trying to take itself too seriously (yeah “Green Lantern,” everyone is staring at you), it will just be an over-the-top display of guns, gore and most likely gratuitous nudity. I hope to be thoroughly offended.