Receivers impress in scrimmage

Spurrier speaks highly on progression of wideout corps

While he wasn’t particularly pleased with his quarterbacks after Saturday’s spring scrimmage, USC coach Steve Spurrier was excited about his receivers.

“[Nick] Jones made some nice catches out here today,” Spurrier said. “DeAngelo Smith made another long one for a touchdown. Ace Sanders had a big one. The receivers, they all caught the ball pretty well most of the day.”

Smith led all receivers in the scrimmage with 80 yards, 61 of which came on a touchdown pass from Connor Shaw. The score was Smith’s third of the spring. Sanders also had a touchdown while Jones had three catches for 33 yards.

Spurrier was especially high on Jones, who redshirted as a freshman last season. The slot receiver looks to make a name for himself at Carolina beyond being just known as Marcus Lattimore’s high school teammate when the two played together at Byrnes High.

“Nicky can catch the ball,” Spurrier said. “Nicky’s going to play [this season].”

Sanders on quarterbacks: In the past, USC receivers said it was difficult to play with quarterbacks shuffling in and out of the huddle, as Spurrier is often inclined to do. However, Sanders is not one of those receivers.

“I’m comfortable with any quarterback,” Sanders said. “They know how to make decisions, how to make the right reads and stuff. I feel pretty comfortable with them coming [in and out].”

Sanders said he’s impressed by the work ethic demonstrated by all of the quarterbacks this spring.

“They’re all battling pretty tough,” Sanders said. “Everybody wants to play, so it’s a battle every day with them. Every day, you see another quarterback step up his play more, trying to get on the field.”

Lattimore working hard: Despite only getting one carry in the scrimmage (which he promptly rumbled 44 yards with, breaking several tackles), Spurrier said Marcus Lattimore is someone he never has to worry about when it comes to work ethic.

“Marcus is the best worker in the weight room, one of our top lifter guys,” Spurrier said. “He does everything you ask, so we don’t have to worry about him. Hopefully that’ll rub off on the other guys a little more.”

A more efficient spring: Carolina’s spring practices under Spurrier have tended to be classified as struggles maligned by mental errors and poor play, but that appears to be ending. Spurrier said he was pleased with the relatively crisp play in the scrimmage, and junior tailback Kenny Miles feels this has been the most efficient spring of his time at USC.

“I feel like everybody is kind of on the same page,” Miles said. “We have a common goal now, and everybody knows what we’re trying to accomplish. Everybody’s working together as a team.”

Whitlock expected back: After missing Friday’s practice and Saturday’s scrimmage with what Spurrier called a “family issue,” cornerback C.C. Whitlock is expected to return to practice this week. The Chester native appeared in all 14 games last season, including five starts, and recorded 21 tackles along with an interception.