South Carolina to face Spartans

Gamecocks look to continue hot streak against USC Upstate

When South Carolina kicked off SEC play having lost two of its previous three games, many had doubts whether the defending national champions could compete in what is widely considered the best conference in college baseball.

It’s safe to say those doubts have disappeared.

The No. 3 Gamecocks are winners of 10 of their last 12, with their most recent victories coming in a three-game sweep of Kentucky. Before this weekend’s series at Tennessee, Carolina (22-5) will aim to earn another midweek win when it hosts USC Upstate (11-18) tonight.

Continuing to stay productive on the offensive side of the ball has been first baseman Christian Walker. The sophomore leads the team with 28 RBIs and is second with five home runs and a .337 batting average. Walker’s most notable performance last week came against The Citadel, finishing the midweek matchup with a home run and four RBIs.

“Walker’s ball in the corner [against The Citadel] was huge for us,” coach Ray Tanner said. “We needed something good, we were in the middle of the game there and you need an opportunity to get the tying run to the plate or on the on-deck circle. And it all worked out for us.”

Among those struggling, however, is outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., who saw his batting average drop below .300 after going hitless in games two and three with UK. Despite the recent slump,k Tanner is confident the junior will work his way out of it.

“He’s human,” Tanner said. “He’s getting pitched like Mickey Mantle. They’ve been very careful with him. He’s had some tough at-bats, but he’ll be fine. He’s a guy that’ll take his walks and still be productive as a guy that can score runs and play defense if he’s not getting an opportunity to hit.”

A key component to the Gamecocks’ success in 2010 was strong pitching, an aspect that has carried over to this season and made itself very clear in the sweep of the Wildcats. Over the course of the series, USC’s pitchers allowed just five runs despite the absence of regular Saturday starter Steven Neff.

Slated to get the start against USC Upstate is right-hander Patrick Sullivan. The sophomore has made three appearances so far this season — all coming in relief — and enters the week with four strikeouts in 4.1 innings of work. If Sullivan can follow the trend set by fellow starters in recent weeks, the Gamecocks will likely be in position to earn another victory.

“I just didn’t think this is where we would be,” Tanner said. “Our rotation has been unsettled to say the least, and we’ve had some guys that have done a good job for us. We’re hoping that we get everybody healthy and it gets even more competitive, but it’s outstanding what they’ve been able to do.”