Third-ranked Gamecocks fall to The Citadel in Charleston

Cribb, Bulldogs shut out USC

It wasn't successful.

The No. 3 Gamecocks saw their nine-game winning streak snapped at the hands of the Bulldogs 2-0 at Joe Riley Park in Charleston.

Bulldog starter Logan Cribb was masterful, as he didn't allow a single run in eight innings of work against the defending national champions.

The Citadel got on the scoreboard in the first inning after shortstop Matt Simonelli's RBI groundout drove in centerfielder Brad Felder, who had earlier advanced to third on a balk by Carolina pitcher Steven Neff.

Neff, who was starting his first game since March 19 after coming back from a shoulder injury, gave up two runs in 3.1 innings of work. He would be replaced by junior left-hander Bryan Harper in the fourth.

In the bottom of the fourth, Citadel first baseman Justin Mackert drove in rightfielder William Ladd with two outs to extend the Bulldogs lead to 2-0.

Wasted opportunities were the story of the night for the Gamecocks at the plate.

USC had runners in scoring position in the sixth and seventh inning but were unable to drive any runs home.

The night came to an agonizing end as Carolina had bases loaded with no one out in the ninth inning but was unable to plate a run.

Catcher Brady Thomas was one of the lone bright spots for Carolina as he was 4-for-4 at the plate.

John Taylor was stellar in relief as he struck out three and didn't allow a run in 2.2 innings of work.

The Gamecocks were without outfielder Jake Williams, who did not make the trip to Charleston after being suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules. Third baseman Adrian Morales also sat out with a wrist injury.

This was the third win in four games for The Citadel (13-20).

Coach Ray Tanner and the Gamecocks (26-6) return home this weekend as they face off against the top-ranked Vanderbilt Commodores.