While unlikely, door left open for Jake Williams to return from suspension for this weekend's series against Vanderbilt

Outfielder could be reinstated in time for Friday's game

Although he called it "unlikely," USC coach Ray Tanner said there's a chance outfielder Jake Williams could play this weekend against top-ranked Vanderbilt.

"If it gets lifted, it'll be lifted before [today's] game," said Tanner on Thursday, saying USC has to have a 27-man roster set prior to meeting with umpires before the game.

Williams, a Greer, S.C., native, was suspended indefinitely before Tuesday night's 2-0 loss at The Citadel for a violation of team rules. The 21-year-old was cited this weekend for providing alcohol to two minors. The citations were given by Cayce police at The Retreat housing complex off Bluff Road.

Williams, who transferred to USC from Wofford, began the season as a reserve but had played his way into an everyday role prior to the suspension. He is currently hitting .286 with two home runs and 18 RBIs 25 starts.

When asked if Williams' status was completely at his discretion, Tanner answered "not entirely," but did not elaborate.

Morales expected to return: Third baseman Adrian Morales is widely regarded as one of the toughest players on USC's roster. So when he told Tanner he wanted to take a week off and miss Tuesday's game against The Citadel in order to rest a sore wrist and get healthy, his request was accepted.

However, Morales changed his mind once the Gamecocks got to Charleston.

"About the time we got off the bus at The Citadel, I had my phone on me," Tanner said. "I got a text from him. He texts me, 'Put me in the lineup.'"

Tanner didn't put Morales in the lineup, nor did he insert him at various points in the game when Morales asked him to — an approach Tanner said irked Morales.

"He got mad with me a little bit," said Tanner, adding Morales "called him out" during practice Wednesday for not putting him in the game.

But, Tanner said, he explained to Morales he was more concerned about having the Hialeah, Fla. native over the long haul, particularly on the field against the Commodores.

Morales said Thursday he respected the decision and understood, although it was "tough" to not play.

"It was just the heat of the moment," said Morales of wanting to play in the game. "I wanted to be in there with the guys."

Neff activated as position player: Left-hander Steven Neff pitched for the first time in almost a month earlier this week.

Now, he might get to play a position to end it.

Tanner said the Lancaster, S.C., native has been activated as a position player and could see some time at the plate and in the outfield.

"Steven Neff is one of our better athletes on this team," Tanner said. "He took some swings yesterday, and he's very athletic in the outfield with our depth being questioned a little bit. If you happen to see him run out there, it won't be a complete shock."

Weekend rundown: Tonight's and Saturday's games will begin at 7 p.m., with Sunday's series finale starting at 1 p.m. All three games will be broadcast on the Gamecock Radio Network (107.5 FM in Columbia) and simulcast on the SiriusXM College Sports Nation (Sirius 122 and XM 143). Saturday's game will be televised by CSS and Sunday's by ESPN2. Today's game will not be broadcast on television.