Notebook ESPN, WOLO reach distribution agreement

Cornerback Victor Hampton reinstated

Recent news will hopefully shed some light onto those queries down the road. ESPN Regional Television, which controls the syndication rights to the SEC Network, has reached an agreement with Columbia's WOLO-TV Channel 25, meaning all USC men's and women's basketball games will be fully distributed in Columbia in addition to 13 weekly SEC football games and 18 SEC men's basketball games plus eight SEC Tournament games.

"With the SEC Network, we aim to reach all SEC fans where they live and watch sports," said Chris Turner, ESPN's senior director for SEC programming, in a release. "We're excited to have ABC Columbia provide hometown fans more action-packed Gamecock football and basketball than ever before."

All USC men's basketball midweek games will be on WKTC My 63 as part of the agreement, while women's games will be either on WOLO or WKTC.

"We're delighted that ABC Columbia, WOLO TV will be the new home for the SEC Network in the Columbia market," said Chris Bailey, ABC Columbia's vice president and general manager, in a statement. "This unique arrangement with our station, WKTC My 63, and ESPN Regional Television not only allows more main-channel coverage but more South Carolina games on local television. More easily accessible games for SEC sports fans is what we all now provide."

Hampton reinstated: Just days after being dismissed from the program, cornerback Victor Hampton is once again a member of the USC football team.
Multiple reports Tuesday stated Hampton is a Gamecock once more after being given a second chance by coach Steve Spurrier.

The Carolina defensive secondary has seen its share of upheaval lately, as converted linebacker DeVonte Holloman was charged with DUI after being stopped at a checkpoint near Williams-Brice Stadium by police on Saturday. Holloman started 10 games last season at safety, recording 66 tackles.

Track athletes honored: USC senior thrower Michael Zajac and junior pole vaulter Marvin Reitze were named to the Capital One Academic All-America Team by the College Sports Information Directors of America on Tuesday. Zajac was a second-team selection, while Reitze was a third-team nod.

Zajac, a native of Lynchburg, Va., had a 3.58 GPA in accounting and ended his career as a four-time All-American in competition. Martin, who hails from Germany, holds a 3.89 GPA in management science and is a two-time All-American.

Additionally, USC thrower Louis Day received the 2011 SEC Sportsmanship individual award last week. Day was honored for informing SEC officials that he qualified for the conference indoor weight throw finals on a scorer's error.

"Although Louis did not win a championship during this event," said USC Athletics Director Eric Hyman in a statement, "his sportsmanship is that of a champion."

The Ole Miss softball team won the team award for its support of the University of Alabama after the Tuscaloosa tornadoes.

"Participation in sport teaches life's lessons that benefit our student-athletes," said SEC commissioner Mike Slive in a release. "Demonstrating good sportsmanship is something that will benefit student-athletes for years after their playing careers are over. I congratulate Louis and the Ole Miss softball team for showing good sportsmanship and earning this prestigious honor."

Hill named golf associate head coach: Don Hill was named associate head coach for both the USC men's and women's golf teams by director of golf operations Puggy Blackmon last week.

Hill comes to Columbia after eight years on staff at North Carolina. His primary duties will be with the men's team, but he will assist with the women's squad when necessary.

"I am very excited to have Don joining our staff," said men's coach Bill McDonald in a release. "He brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to the position. I look forward to working with him and pursing our goals for Carolina golf."

Added women's coach Kalen Anderson in a release, "I am extremely excited to have Don on board. Don is passionate about coaching, and brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to our program."

Hill replaces departed men's assistant Michael Burcin, who left USC to accept the head coaching position at Wisconsin.

"I'm thrilled at the opportunity to come work at the University of South Carolina and to be a Gamecock," said Hill in a release. "Puggy, Bill and Kalen have put together an outstanding golf program, and I'm very fortunate to be able to work with a great program and great people."