Four questions 2012 baseball team faces

Baseball roster to see alterations in upcoming season

South Carolina is the national champion of collegiate baseball. Again. That means two things: another seven or so months of celebration in the Palmetto State, and an open discussion on whether or not the Gamecocks can do it again and make it a three-peat in 2012. Here are four pressing questions facing the team going forward into next season.

Who will be back?

Friday night starter and team captain Michael Roth all but told the crowd at USC’s homecoming party inside the Colonial Life Arena that he would be back for a senior season. So, mark the left-hander down as returning to the fold. There are a lot of guys who can’t be counted on for 2012 as easily.

Many expect Jackie Bradley Jr., a supplemental first round pick of the Boston Red Sox, to sign and go pro. Ditto for Matt Price, a sixth-round selection of the Arizona Diamondbacks, although, there’s probably a better shot he returns as opposed to Bradley. Shortstop Peter Mooney will likely leave Columbia after one season and sign with the Toronto Blue Jays, who picked him in the 21st round. Three other Gamecocks’ likely choice — Adam Matthews in the 23rd round to Baltimore, Bryan Harper in the 30th to Washington and Steven Neff in the 41st to defending World Series champion San Francisco — remain up for debate.

The only significant early exit after the 2010 championship was Whit Merrifield. Chances are, there will be more this time around, but you never know.

Who will fill the voids in the infield?

As stated above, Mooney will likely forego his senior season. Add in the fact that Adrian Morales and Scott Wingo have graduated, and it looks likely USC will have to replace three-fourths of its infield, in addition to the catching position.

Incoming freshman shortstop Joey Pankake (Easley, S.C.) likely will get a chance to play right away, as will junior college transfer Tanner Lovick, also a shortstop, and freshman middle infielder Mikal Hill (Charlotte, N.C.). Rising sophomores Erik Payne and Jake Watson also will get looks.

What will the starting rotation look like?

Assuming Price doesn’t return and move to a starting job, it should look pretty much the same. Roth will be the Friday night guy, barring injury. Colby Holmes and Forrest Koumas both solidified their standing as the other two weekend starters with solid showings in the postseason. Tyler Webb and Adam Westmoreland would fall in behind as strong midweek options, and Nolan Belcher should be back after Tommy John surgery. Of course, given the loss of arms in the bullpen, one or two of the six mentioned could end up moving to the relief corps (Webb and Koumas being likely candidates).

Does any of the above even matter?

The answer to that question may very well be no. The Gamecocks lost their entire starting rotation after the 2010 title, and still repeated. They were ravaged with injuries all season long, and still won the SEC regular season title and national title. More and more evidence is beginning to mount that it doesn’t matter who is out there for USC — the Gamecocks are going to win anyway. If everything plays out like expected, the 2012 team will be, on paper, more capable of a title run than the 2011 team appeared to be. That can’t be a welcoming thought to SEC foes.