In our opinion: Students needed at home football games

We’ve said it multiple times before, and we’ll say it again: Students need to attend USC football games.

With the start of classes in August, football season is right around the corner. We had a great team that won the university’s first SEC East title last season, and this year’s team has the potential to perform just as well if not even better. With that in mind, it is up to the fans of Gamecock football to support their team throughout the entire season, especially students.

Tickets to home games at Williams-Brice Stadium are free for students — free. The tickets are included with USC’s student activity fee, so we encourage students to take advantage of one of the rare times the university doesn’t charge them for something.
This year, Student Ticketing has allocated an additional 1,000 seats for students in the upper deck of the stadium if all 10,000 tickets offered through TicketReturn are requested and claimed for a home game. This opportunity has been presented in the past, but it was removed when students attempted to sit in the incorrect sections of the stadium. Now that students are being given another chance to attend a game if tickets run out, we suggest they sit where they are supposed to in order to keep these additional seats.

While we understand that attending away games can be a much more difficult and expensive process, we encourage those who can to do so, especially with initiatives like Student Government’s Carolina Convoy that will take 100 students to the Tennessee game in Knoxville this year. Any amount of garnet and black in a sea of opponents’ colors is better than none.

Students, you represent our school and our pride of its athletics program, and in order to represent these well, the stands at home need to be full.