Auguste injury, Mattox suspension adds to secondary depth issues

Senior against clock to return to practice in time to start against ECU

If senior cornerback Akeem Auguste is going to start against East Carolina, he'll have to be out of his yellow injured jersey by tomorrow.

"You definitely have to start (practicing) when we start preparing for East Carolina," said USC defensive coordinator and cornerbacks coach Lorenzo Ward after practice Monday. "If he's not back Wednesday, hopefully we'll have him back for game time, but he wouldn't start."

Auguste, who is returning to his natural spot at the corner after spending most of last season as a safety, has yet to practice this preseason due to a foot injury. Ward said Auguste worked out with USC's medical staff Monday in order to assess where he is in his recovery.

"They ran him today and maybe did some cutting," Ward said. "It'll be interesting to talk to (head football athletic trainer) Clint (Haggard) and see how he did."

Auguste's status is of utmost importance for the secondary, considering it already has depth issues to begin with. Safety Brison Williams is out for at least six to eight weeks after breaking his arm.

Cornerback Victor Hampton will be suspended for the first three games of the season. And Ward revealed Monday, freshman corner Martay Mattox will also have to sit out the opener against ECU. Mattox, who enrolled early in the spring, will be suspended due to academic issues last semester.

"There are some academic rules you have to follow," Ward said. "If you don't go to class, you don't play."

If Auguste, who was sixth on the teams in tackles last season, is able to play in 12 days against the Pirates, whether it be in a starting role or off the bench, USC shouldn't have any issues. Ward said he feels very good about a four-man rotation of Auguste, Stephon Gilmore, C.C. Whitlock and Marty Markett, a former walk-on recently put on scholarship. If Auguste can't play, Ward said the fourth cornerback spot will be a "coin toss" with Mattox unavailable.

One potential candidate has already been eliminated from consideration. Ward said that slotback Bruce Ellington, who played defensive back in high school, likely will not be moving over from offense.

"We've discussed it, but I think they have a plan for Bruce on offense," Ward said.

Next up: The Gamecocks are scheduled to return to the Bluff Road practice fields at 4:15 p.m. today. The session is closed.