Call-in show report: Spurrier says USC has potential for special season

Clowney praised, Swearinger in line at kickoff return

South Carolina fans have had almost a year to bask in the glory of a historic season that included the school's first SEC East title and accolades for many of the teams' individual stars. With the 2011 season opener just over two weeks away, expectations have never been higher.

But in his call-in show Thursday night, coach Steve Spurrier was quick to dismiss the expectations as just that — potential that is not worth bragging about until the team fulfills it.

"We've got a team that has potential," Spurrier said. "I've said that, and that's all I can say because we've not done that much yet. We won the Eastern Division last year with a 5-3 record, basically because the other teams in our division — none of them went 6-2. We had a team that finished seventh in offense and defense."

"We're not a great team. We played very well at times," Spurrier continued. "A lot of guys played well, but as a team, we didn't get it done. So we don't need to be bragging on our guys right now. We're excited that we have a chance and expectations. They're like that every year, and we hope we can live up to them. We'll find out if we can live up to them."

Spurrier was full of praise for the team's most renowned freshman recruit, defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, but he refused to definitively choose a starting quarterback for USC's game against East Carolina on Sept. 3.

"Stephen [Garcia] did not have his best games those last two in the Dome," Spurrier said. "So as a coach, you say, if he's our best player, we're going to play him. But if he's not, we have to find out who is our best quarterback. Stephen's doing well, though. He's changed a lot. His commitment level is a lot better. He should be good to play, but Connor [Shaw] has done some good things also. We're still looking at both guys."

John Butler, who was named the Gamecocks' special teams coordinator in February, also appeared on the show. He said USC's special teams have transitioned well with the coaching change and will be ready to make an impact this season.

"I think we have great athletes here — definitely the best athletes that I've worked with in my going-on-17-year coaching career," Butler said. "We've got about two more weeks where we have to keep fine-tuning things, identifying a couple little specific things. But I'm encouraged moving forward that we're heading in the right direction."

When asked whether D.J. Swearinger would be the team's main kick returner this season, Butler rattled off a list of players who could fill that role.

"D.J. is a great kick returner. He's a great option," Butler said. "Coach [Spurrier] mentioned Bruce Ellington — he's another great option. Stephon [Gilmore] is a great punting return option. We have options. That's the biggest thing. I don't think you have to sit back and say, 'Gosh, I hope he's going to be the guy. If he's not, we're in trouble.' We have depth."

Even with all the individual talent on the team, Spurrier said the intangibles will be what makes or breaks this year's Gamecock football season.

"You've got to have talent to win games," he said. "But to win championships you've got to have discipline, teamwork and determination."