Column: Muschamp returns to The Swamp a different man

There is one thing in common between Will Muschamp’s arrival at South Carolina in 2016 and Florida in 2011: He's had to fill the shoes for two coaching legends.

In Gainesville, Florida, Muschamp was tasked with replacing Urban Meyer. This wasn’t the easiest task, especially at a high-caliber program like Florida. In The Swamp, Meyer compiled a 65-15 record in just six seasons, winning a pair of National Championships before winning a third at Ohio State. 

In Columbia, Muschamp’s job is to replace Steve Spurrier. While Spurrier was probably the Gators’ greatest football coach, you can make the argument for Meyer. But in Gamecock Country, there isn’t any doubt. Spurrier was the best. 

In 2005, Spurrier turned things around immediately, knocking off his old school, Florida, and his nemesis, Tennessee. He not only led South Carolina to its first SEC East Championship in 2010, but he also directed three straight 11-2 seasons from 2011-13. But what most South Carolinians will remember? The five-peat over hated in-state rival Clemson.

Muschamp had more resources in hand while in Florida, but he could have had more success at Florida. During Muschamp’s first season in The Swamp, he came in as a highly touted defensive coordinator from Texas and a college football blue blood. He wasn’t just expected to recruit and coach defense, but to lead an SEC program to championships. The Gators entered the season ranked 22nd in the country.

Despite a stingy total defense that ranked No. 9 nationally, the passing offense ranked 88th in the total offense ranked 82nd. The offensive struggles could be attributed to the fact that he immediately switched the Gators' system from the spread option to the pro-style, as Steve Addazio was replaced by Charlie Weis. Addazio’s system flourished with quarterbacks like Chris Leak and Tim Tebow that would lead Florida to championships. Weis, on the other hand, was a different story.

Muschamp’s next three seasons didn’t go according to plan, either. The Gators finished 11-2 in 2012 but faltered in 2013 and 2014, finishing 4-8 and 6-5. His firing can be attributed to two reasons: the first is the offensive struggles, obviously. The second? Florida’s fans’ expectations are sky high. Especially after winning two national championships under Meyer. No conference championship? No national championship? No good.

Entering Columbia, things were undoubtedly a lot different for the Gamecocks’ first-year coach. Despite the fact that he would be replacing a legend in Steve Spurrier, he was entering a program that was in desperate rebuilding mode. Building blocks existed in Columbia, but this wasn’t a program accustomed to winning conference and national championships on a regular basis, so the pressure would be lower. Plus, South Carolina was recovering from its worst season since 1999.

During the winter, Muschamp hit the recruiting trail hot and saved a once-depleted Gamecock recruiting class. Players, however, weren’t the only thing that he recruited. South Carolina’s lively head coach also assembled a coaching staff with experience and connections in the SEC and the state of South Carolina.

However, many Gamecock fans entered the fall with nervous uncertainty. Who could blame them? No one in America believed in South Carolina — especially the national media, who picked Muschamp to finish last in the East in his first season as head coach. Fast forward to Nov. 10, and South Carolina is sitting at 5-4 (3-4, SEC), still holding a chance to win the SEC’s Eastern Division — a title they haven’t won since 2010. They will exceed expectations if they can score six wins and bowl eligibility. Muschamp looked like a genius on defense at the beginning of the season, and he still does. A unit that ranked 92nd in the nation and allowed 432.7 yards per game in 2015 hasn't allowed 30 points in a game this season. 

However, a 2-4 start had many South Carolina supporters wondering if this season would mirror Will Muschamp’s Florida teams of the past. The Gamecocks were the nation’s worst scoring offense, and didn’t break the 20-point threshold until well into October. What a difference an efficient quarterback can make, however, for a first-year head coach. With freshman Jake Bentley under center, the Gamecocks are riding a three-game winning streak. An improved defense is now backed by a serviceable offense, one that has been averaging 29.6 points per game over that three-game stretch. 

The differences between the 2016 Gamecocks and 2011 Gators point to signs that Muschamp could flourish in the future. The Gators started a veteran quarterback that faltered adjusting to a new system. The team started strong at 4-0, but collapsed to a 7-6 finish. South Carolina, however, is 5-4 and full steam ahead. Additionally, these teams were polar opposites in terms of expectations. Will Muschamp has always been able to recruit and coach defense like few other men on Earth can, but in Columbia, he has the tools around him to create a more balanced team. 

The pressure is lower at South Carolina, and the future is brighter. Perhaps Muschamp learned from his mistakes in The Swamp. He’ll have a chance to exorcise his Gator demons and spoil Florida’s SEC Championship hopes this Saturday. A win in this game would be an extended measure of progress for his young football program. Additionally, it’d be quite satisfying revenge against his old employer.