Can Marcus Lattimore strike the pose?

What USC's star halfback has to do to win the Heisman Trophy

NEW YORK ­­—

The building is far from remarkable; a squat, grey concrete box with glass pane windows. Its defining feature, an 85-foot-long LED marquee that is one of the largest along the Great White Way, is overshadowed by the iconic scrolling news ticker across the street on the front of ABC's Times Square Studio.

However, that will change Dec. 10 when the theater hosts the 77th annual Heisman Memorial Trophy Presentation.

The nation will watch as the most hallowed individual honor in collegiate football, and arguably all of American sports, is bestowed upon the "outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity," as the Heisman Trust's mission statement reads.

Most players wouldn't want to discuss their chances to win the Heisman and join the exclusive fraternity. Marcus Lattimore, USC's star sophomore halfback has no such qualms.

"It's there now. I have a legitimate shot at winning it," Lattimore said.

Lattimore has visited the Big Apple once before, on a recruiting trip to Rutgers in 2009.

"It was amazing, to see Times Square and all that stuff," Lattimore said.

He wants to go back, this time to raise the iconic 25-pound cast bronze statue. But first comes getting there.

The history involved
Historically, the Heisman is thought of as an award given to running backs. Of the 74 individual winners recognized by the Heisman Trust, 42 played either halfback or fullback as their main position.

However, trends have changed in recent years. Since Doug Flutie won the award in 1984 to break a 12-year stretch in which each Heisman winner had been a halfback, only seven of the 26 still-recognized Heisman winners have been halfbacks.

The award has become one dominated by quarterbacks. Nine of the last 11 recipients have all played the position. In fact, before Alabama's Mark Ingram won the award in 2009, it had been ten years since a halfback won the Heisman, dating back to Ron Dayne in 1999.

Already, those facts are a knock against Lattimore, or any other running back. But then again, the odds are long for every player at the start of a season. Before a game is played, the only tool to measure chances is history, and in Lattimore's case, history brings good news.

The mean season total for the seven halfback winners since 1984 was 312 carries for 2002 yards and 24 rushing touchdowns.

Last fall, Lattimore had 249 carries for 1197 yards and 17 rushing scores. And that included missing the second half of the Kentucky game and all of the Vanderbilt game, as well as playing limited roles in the Southern Miss, Furman, Auburn and Arkansas games.

Lattimore has bulked up in the offseason. Much of that is due to maturation and a full year in the strength and conditioning program. But Lattimore himself said he wants to prevent the nagging injuries that slowed him in 2010. If he is to make a run at the Heisman, he must be on the field.

Lattimore's ability to play a role in the passing game out of the backfield also bodes well for his chances. The mean season impact of the seven in the passing game averages out to 21 catches for 211 yards and a touchdown. Last season, Lattimore had 29 receptions for 412 yards and two touchdowns.

A team award
Steve Spurrier recently put the brakes on Lattimore's Heisman talk, shutting it down like it was a Twitter account. His reasoning, as he told ESPN, was that discussing individual awards prior to the season was inappropriate.

It was OK to want to win the Heisman, but talking about it was the equivalent of Spurrier saying he wants to be named coach of the year.

Spurrier's coach-speak is littered with irony. These days, the Heisman is seen as not only a symbol of tremendous individual accomplishment, but also the achievement of the winner's team.

"If he wins the Heisman, we all win the Heisman," said offensive lineman Terrence Campbell. "It's a team thing."

The last two Heisman winners, Auburn quarterback Cam Newton and Ingram, both led their teams to national championships after winning the award. Furthermore, in the Bowl Championship Series era, eight of the 11 Heisman recipients have played in the BCS title game a month later.

The phenomenon of a great player from a great team winning the Heisman is nothing new either. Of the aforementioned seven recognized halfback winners since 1984, the combined record of their teams' season records when they were awarded the trophy is 68-12, or about an average 10-2 mark.

Each individual season ended with a prestigious bowl invitation as well. Berths in the BCS National Championship Game, Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl (twice), Fiesta Bowl, Citrus Bowl and Holiday Bowl followed each recipient's honor.

Spurrier also said Lattimore's Heisman talk was fueling unnecessary questions by fans and the media. Chances are the questions, and not the idea of self over team, was the driving force behind Spurrier's conversation with his star halfback. Because Lattimore's desire to win the Heisman seems very much fueled by what it would mean for his team's overall success.

"It would mean a lot, to be honest with you," he said. "The last two Heisman winners have a national championship, so that's a team award (too). It would be great to win it."

At the same time, Lattimore's teammates have to hold up their end of the bargain as well. Just as injuries would submarine Lattimore's chances, so too would a disappointing season from the Gamecocks. It is extremely difficult for a player to be named a finalist for the award if his team doesn't have a strong record. Lattimore could have an astounding statistical season and be locked out if USC loses several games and fails to repeat as SEC East champions.

Foreshadowing?
The oft-overlooked marquee draws scant attention on a breezy morning in late June.

Pedestrians are hustling to work. Taxicabs stop and go intermittently, creating a cacophony of horn blasts and screeches as they slink by. A crowd is gathering across the street in front of the ABC building, as "Good Morning America" is about to begin a live outdoor cooking segment.

But for South Carolinians, there is something of note on it. The screen reads: USC graduate and recording artist Darius Rucker will perform at the Theater in early September..

No doubt he'll shine.

Seven hundred and eighteen miles away, another celebrated son of the Palmetto State can only hope he'll have the same chance.

"It's a dream," Lattimore said. "Something I've dreamed about all the time."

Editor's Note: Southern California halfback Reggie Bush is not factored in any data used in the story. The Heisman Trust no longer recognizes him as a recipient. Bush won the Heisman in 2005, but has since returned the award after his role in NCAA violations during his playing career was revealed. Officially, the 2005 Heisman is considered vacant.