Eight Gamecocks to watch

Marcus Lattimore

Alshon Jeffery
Jeffery, a 2010 second team All-American and Biletnikoff Award finalist, is one of, if not the, best wide receivers in the nation. Known for his excellent leaping ability, great hands and exceptional work ethic, Jeffery will look to continue to embarrass opposing defensive backs. This will likely be his final season in a Carolina uniform, as he is a sure first-round selection in the 2012 NFL draft. After just two seasons, Jeffery ranks eighth in Carolina history in receptions (134) and fourth in receiving yards (2,280). He had a breakout season last year in which he had eight 100-yard games and came through in clutch situations time in and time out for the Gamecocks.

Jadeveon Clowney
After his much hyped-about recruitment, Clowney is less than a month away from finally playing a down. He has all the tools to be a star. Think of all the top flight defensive ends over the past few years (Da'Quan Bowers, Carlos Dunlap, even Mario Williams) and you will find that Clowney is in the same mold. He will get the chance to prove himself immediately as the Gamecocks need to fill the void left by Cliff Matthews.

Shaq Wilson
Wilson will play a very important role in the Carolina defense this fall, either good or bad. If he can manage to stay healthy, he will be the anchor of the defense. He missed all but one game last year due to a severely strained hamstring. He played at Auburn but aggravated the injury late in the game. In his one full year as a starter in 2009, he led the team with 85 tackles. Wilson hopes to be around for every game, and if he is, get used to seeing him wherever the ball is.

Devin Taylor
Taylor became a star last season with 46 tackles, 13 of which were for a loss, and 7.5 sacks, which ranked fourth in the SEC. His performance also landed him on the first team All-SEC squad. This fall, Taylor can only improve as he has spent another spring beefing up. Also, because of the quality of the defensive line, teams will be reluctant to double team him, especially with Clowney and Co. on the other side.

Stephon Gilmore
Gilmore has always been exciting to watch ever since he stepped onto the football field as a freshman. Probably the most versatile player on the team, Gilmore can do damage on both sides of the ball. In his career, he has come in at quarterback for a couple of plays and had success, most notably against Clemson two years ago. Gilmore played only two snaps under center all of last year. He was able to garner third team All-American and second team All-SEC honors last year as a sophomore, even as teams started to stay away from him.

D.J. Swearinger
Swearinger is coming off a sneaky good year in 2010; his play was covered up by the secondary's problems on pass coverage. The hard-hitting junior was fourth on the team with 66 tackles and five pass breakups last year and has played in all 27 games over the past two seasons. Swearinger had a great spring and topped it off by being named Joe Morrison Defensive Player of the Spring. He will continue to get better with even more experience under his belt, and he will become one of the leaders on defense in 2011, as well as likely return kicks.

DeAngelo Smith
After catching just one pass last year as a freshman, Smith exploded onto the scene during the spring. With Jeffery not fully practicing, Smith took advantage of the opportunity and made himself look like the best player on the field. It all culminated at the spring game where he caught four passes for 118 yards and three touchdowns and was named Offensive MVP of the Spring. As a result, Smith is the favorite to emerge as USC's No. 2 receiver.