First weeks give students false sense of security in new courses

Easy classes often become harder as year progresses 

We are less than two full weeks into the year, and as an upperclassman I have to laugh, almost sadistically, at the overwhelming number of times I have heard these phrases echoing across campus: 

ryan_celley_001WEB"Dude, the professor doesn't take attendance. I'm only going on exam days."

"Bro, that class is a joke. Of course I'm skipping it."

With the newfound freedom of college comes a number of opportunities to fall flat on your face, freshmen. And the easiest way to whittle down that GPA is to start ignoring a class before the first test.

Don't judge a class's difficulty after the first week. Some courses will spend this time making sure everyone is starting on the same page, and this could leave you approaching the class with a "no worries, I learned all this in middle school" attitude. Beware. The second you have convinced yourself it's nap time is the second the professor brings in the new, complex material that will make up half of the final exam — guaranteed.

This warning is not solely for freshmen either, as I didn't really experience this until my sophomore year. Laziness is easier than ever to adopt right after your first year or semester, when your ego is nice and bloated from a straight-A semester in all 100-level classes. Sorry to burst the bubble, but you don't come to four years of college to just take the lowest level classes. There will come a time to step up, and everyone should be ready for it.