Main Street Latin Festival spices up downtown Columbia

Musicians, traditional cuisine, dancing highlight culture

Columbia's Latin community came out in droves Saturday to enjoy the Main Street Latin Festival, located between West Hampton and Washington streets. The single block was packed as attendees milled around white tents lining the walkway, with vendors selling everything from T-shirts and handmade jewelry to traditional food and beverages hailing from different Latin countries. Live music played throughout the day.

Crowds waited in long lines to sample the festival's various Latin cuisine, like Quisqueya Caribbean Restaurant's fried plantains and El Coqui's alcapurrias (a Puerto Rican fritter dish made from a mixture of vegetables and seasoned meat). The savory aromas alone were enough to attract people from multiple streets away.

In addition, one could sample piraguas — a Puerto Rican take on the snow cone — or sip on a freshly blended piña colada, colorful umbrella included. Other goodies included skewered mangoes, a Mexican treat topped with hot chili powder.

To third-year math and Spanish student Cathy Hardin, the mangoes were the best part.

"They were so good; the chili powder added an interesting flavor to the sweetness of the fruit," she said.

Hardin originally heard about the festival in Spanish class.

"The food and the music made me want to go," Hardin said. "We even saw a Juanes impersonator here. He wasn't very good, but we sang along anyway."

Faux Juanes aside, the festival featured a number of high-quality music acts, with performances by Mala Fe, Pedro Veras, LaroA and Sony L, Marcel Portilla, Miguel and William and Jeicot Philly and El Traviezo. The music ranged from merengue and bachata to reggaeton and Latin pop.

Dominican singer Mala Fe and his accompanying band played in the late afternoon, conversing with the crowd in Spanish and pumping everyone up with his merengue tunes.

Many crowd members were expertly twirling and grooving to the beat in partners, while other less-experienced dancers happily swayed instead.

Practiced dancers were also brought on stage to show how various dances were done.

"The music is the most popular part of the festival," said event coordinator and media correspondent Genaro Padilla. "We want to showcase all the life and entertainment we have, and we do that by bringing main artists to the public, for free."

According to the event's website, the festival drew more than 10,000 people last year.

"I've been advised by the Columbia police to ask for two blocks instead of one," Padilla said, "but that involves much coordination and red tape. Maybe in a few years it will be even bigger."

Hopefully, that will be the case. The Main Street Latin Festival provides a unique, diverse experience that serves to both unify Columbia and showcase specific cultures in a fun, family-friendly environment.